3.2 - Azula

Straight away apparently. Zuko walked her to a small meeting room, where an aging, and kindly looking woman in her mid-fifties waited. Azula took in every detail about her at once: fire nation robes and hairstyle, tan skin, greying hair, and blue eyes... Hmm, Azula thought, not very fire nation of you...

The woman bowed respectfully and introduced herself as Kaya.

Azula and Zuko returned the gesture, though Azula said, "Welcome to the Fire Nation...water peasant."

"Azula!" shouted Zuko, rounding on her instantly.

"What were you thinking brother? You wanted me to speak with her? I refuse."

"Azula, she's spent many years healing and helping people who have problems with their minds, just like you–"

"I don't have problems I–"

"Please, just stop. Everyone needs help sometimes, and the first step to healing is acknowledging that!"

"Needing help means you're–"

"No, Azula! Father was wrong!" He stood right in front of her, just as furious as her, "Needing help is fine! Needing help is normal. We all need help sometimes. You have to stop listening to him. Please, just, try this. I know it will h-" He stopped himself. "It will make things better."

They faced off against each other, Kaya completely forgotten for the moment.

Azula huffed and waved her hand dismissively, "Think what you like. You're wrong."

She turned to leave and saw Suki and the other warrior, Ling standing there blocking the door.

Azula sneered, "Get out of the way."

"No Azula, please," Suki begged, "Zuko wants...We want you to feel better. Kaya wants the same. Please, just try."

Azula glared at her but Suki held her gaze, unflinching.

"Fine! If only so you all leave me alone."

Suki nodded, and she heard Zuko exhale slightly. She watched them file out of the room, only turning to face Kaya after the door clicked shut.

"Well that was some greeting," Kaya smiled warmly.

"This is funny to you?" Azula growled, her hands alighting with blue flames.

"No, no," Kaya shook her head, seemingly unafraid of Azula's threat. "It's just, not every day I meet with such...fiery people. The Fire Nation truly lives up to its name. Please, sit." She motioned to the chair opposite her. Azula's flames winked out but she still didn't sit.

"You were right about me being from the Northern Water Tribe. I spent many years practising the healing arts, but it seemed that some wounds could not be fixed with bending or even physical therapy. I began to spend time learning about the mind, understanding the ways it worked. I learned about fears, trauma, anger and all sorts of other emotions. It became my passion, and I travelled the world learning and practising it."

Azula snorted, "Indeed. So how do you fix it?"

"With time, patience and lots of practise."

Azula scrutinised her, still sizing her up. Kaya remained unfazed under Azula's harsh gaze and waited patiently. When Azula finally sat down, Kaya began.

"So, Azula. Tell me about who you are. Likes, dislikes, hobbies, favourite activities."

Azula opened her mouth and froze. Who she was? Well, she was Princess Azula, daughter of Fire Lord Ozai and, and...