1.2 - Zuko

Zuko paced anxiously at the top of the stairs to the palace. Suki's messenger hawk had arrived 3 days ago, saying that they had found Azula, and convinced her to return willingly. Zuko knew that her willingness could only mean trouble for Suki or him, but this had been his plan. He had to stick with it now.

Her rooms had been prepared, as had a guest bedroom, just in case being back brought up...bad memories as it had for his mother and himself.

Mai and Ty Lee had found themselves very busy with 'stuff' today and Zuko hadn't pushed it. He figured that her return would open old wounds, and he didn't want to make this any harder on anyone.

"Are you ready Zuko?" asked Aang, who had arrived the day before, with Sokka, Katara and Toph. Zuko had needed his friends support for this, he just hoped their presence wouldn't aggravate Azula.

"No," Zuko answered honestly, "I'm beginning to think this was all a huge mistake."

"Come on Zuko. You're doing the right thing. You've been helping the Fire Nation to heal and," he grinned, "regain its honour!"

Zuko groaned halfheartedly and Aang continued, "You've had your uncle, and us to support you and help you become the incredible Fire Lord you are today. Azula..." Aang shrugged, "You said it yourself, she's had no one to help her, no one to support her and from what I hear...no one to love her."

Zuko hung his head at that, feeling the truth of the situation all over again. "You're right Aang. Thank you for your encouragement, Avatar," at that Zuko bowed to Aang, and Aang returned the gesture.

A horn sounded and the two snapped up to see a carriage pulled by four ostrich-horses enter the courtyard. Four of the Kyoshi warriors dismounted from them and handed them off to some waiting servants. The carriage slowed to a stop and Zuko began to descend the steps to greet its occupants, reminding himself of peace and balance. He knew she would try to get under his skin, and remembered what Uncle taught him about the lightning, Let it flow through you and then out of you. She couldn't hurt him. Not anymore.

The door opened and Suki stepped out, and bowed with a smile, "Fire Lord."

He nodded to her and stood patiently as the other warrior, Ling, exited, and bowed to him. He nodded again and returned his attention to the carriage. Suki extended a hand to someone inside and Zuko felt his heart race, this is it, he thought.

She ignored Suki's hand and stepped out of the carriage, looking around imperiously.

Zuko ignored his nerves and smiled, "Azula! Welcome home."

Her wary gaze fixed on him, her anger and confusion warring for control. He had felt the same after Ozai had banished him. Let it flow through you...

"Hello brother. I see you are...well," she crooned back. He noticed then how thin she looked, how ragged, her hair was loose and in a low ponytail. It had grown out since...since the Agni Kai, when she had cut it. Let it flow through you...

He took a deep breath and stepped forward, bowing to her quickly, respectfully. She seemed surprised and then, slowly, dipped into a quick, almost mocking bow in return. He smiled at her. Her expression was hard, but at least she wasn't screaming or trying to burn something. This was good. He hoped.

"Please, come inside, I understand that you have had a long trip. Lunch has been prepared for us."

She stood stock still, her gaze still boring into him. He waited patiently.

"I suppose a little food won't hurt," but then her eyes went wide and she stepped back, "Unless your trying to poison me!" She raised her hands, flames alighting as she went on, "That's what this is! Agrand ploy to get rid of me for good!"

"Azula, no!" Suki rushed to her side, hands firmly on her shoulders, "Remember what I said? Zuko isn't going to hurt you. If it will make you feel better, I will taste your food first, okay? I doubt he'd try to get rid of both of us."

Azula seemed to return, calming down after her outburst though her eyes still seemed panicked. Zuko took a deep breath and said, "Right... Shall we go inside now?"

Suki nodded to Azula and released her shoulders. Zuko led the way and the two girls followed him up the stairs and to the dining hall that had been set up for them.

This is going to be a long process, Zuko thought. He nodded to his friends and they all headed inside.

"Zuko, do you think you could give us a few minutes to change and freshen up?" Suki asked

"Yes, yes of course, we'll be ready when you are."

***********************************************************

Hey guys! Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed!

Don't forget to vote for each part, it helps to get the story out there so more people can see and enjoy it!