Fourteen.

"My son gets his temper from his father. I apologize for that," Sasha says with a sigh, taking a sip of her coffee. I laugh softly, stirring mine and not actually touching it yet. We're at Sasha's coffee shop, Shay's cafe, because Lexi decided I needed to leave the house and have a distraction. But all we're doing is talking about Wesley. Some distraction.

"Yeah, my oldest brother is a dumbass who needs anger management classes," Lexi chimes in. Sasha smacks her arm, choking on the drink of coffee in her mouth. She laughs loudly as she finally swallows the hot liquid.

"Alexandria!" Sasha says with a laugh. "But you're not wrong."

"So are you going to try things with Aiden? In an attempt to move on from Wes?" Lexi asks me. I look up, finally putting my spoon down, and let out a deep sigh.

"I honestly don't know. Aiden seems like a great guy, and he's actually showing interest in me. But do I want to possibly lead him on if I can't get over Wesley? I don't want to hurt him just because my heart wants to love someone I can't have," I respond with a sigh. Sasha gasps, and my eyes dart to hers quickly.

"You love him?" she whispers. I nod slowly, looking away. "I'm going to talk to my son." And with that, she gets up and leaves. It's her cafe so the drinks were free.

"I'm scared for him," Lexi says with a grimace, making me giggle.

——

WESLEY'S POV

"Would you mind telling me what the hell your problem is?" I look up and see my mom, looking absolutely pissed off, in the doorway to my living room.

"Hello to you too, mom," I respond, confused.

"Wesley Hill Taylor, come with me right now," she demands.

"I'll be right back," I sigh, leaving my friends in the living room, and following my pissed off mother to my office. I shut the door behind me and sit on the edge of my desk, ready for whatever she has to throw at me.

"Do you love her?" she asks me, and it's not what I was expecting at all.

"Savannah?" She smirks at me and I realize what I did.

"Considering I didn't even have to say a name, that answers my question," she retorts. I let out a sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"Fine. Yes, I love Savannah. But she's dating Aiden now, and I fucked it all up anyway. I screwed up so bad mom," I admit to her.

"I know. I heard all about it from her and your sister over coffee just now. Again I ask, what the hell is your problem? Bringing up Will again? And basically calling her a slut? What the hell, Wesley? I raised you better than that. That girl is a God send, and she was sent just for you." Her words repeat in my head, and I realize just how much I fucked up. I sent her straight into Aiden's arms. "She doesn't even know if she wants to try with Aiden because she doesn't want to string him along if she can't get over you."

"Fuck," I curse quietly. "What do I do, mom?"

"I know you guys have feelings for each other, but I need you to back off. Let her see if she can be happy without you. With Aiden, with anyone else. You've messed with her head so much that she needs to see what other options there are. Be her friend, don't be a dick, and let her decide on her own what to do. If you truly love her, you will let her go."

My mom leaves the room shortly after our conversation, and her words keep repeating in my mind. "If you truly love her, you will let her go." I do love her, but how can I do that? How can I let her try to be happy with someone else?

Because I haven't been making her happy. I've only been hurting her.

I let out a sigh, throwing myself onto my bed, knowing I won't be able to sleep tonight. Savannah's date with Aiden is tomorrow, and I have to let it happen. I have to let her go so she can be happy without me. It's going to fucking suck and hurt like a bitch to see her with him, but if he makes her happy, that's all that matters.

There's a knock on my door, and it slowly opens. Savannah steps in and shuts the door behind her. I sit up, looking at her confused. "Is everything okay, Savannah?"

"I'm having a hard time sleeping. I don't know why I came here... I... I'm gonna go." She turns to leave, but I'm out of my bed and in front of her in an instant. She looks shocked, as I grab her hand, stopping her.

"You can stay. I can't sleep either," I tell her, releasing her hand slowly. She nods, looking down at our hands.

"I'm having doubts. I... I need you to tell me what to do," she whispers, looking up at me.

"What do you mean?" I know exactly what she means, but I need her to say it.

"I need you to tell me that we have no chance of ever being together. That you don't want me. That going out with Aiden is a good thing. Because right now, all I can think about is the good moments we've had. But if it's all just me, I need to know."

"I can't say any of that to you, because it's not true. Other than you going out with Aiden being a good thing, because it will be. I have to let you go, Savannah. You deserve to be happy, and I don't make you happy." She has tears streaming down her face now, and my heart is breaking, but I have to do it. "I need you to be happy, without me."