FORTY - New Year's Surprise

You know there comes a time when you question everything and everyone in your life

You know there comes a time when you question everything and everyone in your life. Every single person who has come close to you. Their intentions. Their reasons. Their character. 

This is my moment. 

I am questioning everything and everyone.

 My father's comeback and his true intentions. Luca's intentions after meeting me. Shane's innocence in all of this.

Men can be evil. They swoon you and break down your walls to gain your trust. Just so they take the damn rug off from under your feet. They will watch you fall, ass-first on the floor and don't care about the pain or trauma they will cause.

I thought I had learned how to be immune. 

"Mel," William calls, taking a step in our direction.

Only to have Luca stand right in front of him, blocking his access to me.

"Get out of my way, boy," He growls.

"Make me," he bites back, squaring his shoulder.

"It's fine," I mumble. 

He turns back, looking at me intently while my father still has his eyes cautiously trained on Luca. 

However, instead of my sperm donor, the one who comes to me and crouches down to my height is Mr Robot. He puts a hand on my chin, tilting my face and forcing me to look him in the eye.

His hand moves from my chin to my cheek, ending on my forehead.

It is everything I hadn't expected. Warm and comforting, bringing me a sliver of peace I didn't know still exists.

"You're growing a fever," he talks quietly.

Yet, I know everyone has heard.

"You're sick?" Luca questions, turning to me and starting to walk.

"Do not move" William warns making all of us look up.

A gun is pointed at the back of Luca's head. However, the only sign of him being worried about it is not moving his body.

My hands burn and when I lower my eyes again, I find the reason for it. The ultrasound photo still lies in my hands, crinkled and weighing me down even though it weighs barely anything. Opening it carefully I look up at Jake. His body is covering it from Luca's sight and I thank him internally. His eyes jump from the picture in my hands and my eyes, his eyes convey...pain?

Who would have thought that the emotionless robot would be the one worried about me and my well-being at this moment?

The tears are about to spill and this time I don't think I can hold them in. Jake has his eyes trained on me. They're full of emotion, it's like a hurricane inside them. If I didn't know it would seem to me that he was the one hurt. It feels as if me being like this is affecting him. As if he could feel my pain. As if we were able to share it.