TWENTY-NINE - Mending Hearts

I have been spending some time at my mum's for the last few days

I have been spending some time at my mum's for the last few days. Shane surely needs space and while Luca insisted on my staying over, after that stunt he pulled, that was the last thing I wanted.

Mothers are mothers, right? Mine has picked up on something not being right but at least she's keeping her distance and letting me deal with it.

Today though, I go back to the apartment. Shane has had more than enough time and we need to talk eventually, otherwise sharing an apartment won't work. He's also one of the most important people in my life, losing his friendship is the last thing I want to do. I'll always love him, just not the way I used to, all those years ago.

Time went by and I moved on, now all that's left to have between us is friendship. I can give him time to adjust but he needs to understand, that's all there is.

My brain runs at a high speed about the words I'll use, how to approach the subject without creating an argument or a fallout, and not registering anything until I place my keys on the little table by the entrance.

It's when I look around and realise the state of the house that a gasp lodges itself in my throat and my heart skips a beat. Then two.

The house is trashed

Not destroyed but filthy. And while I know Shane isn't the cleanest guy on earth, this is too much. Things are spread everywhere, clothing, food, beer bottles... Even a few of our things are broken and left in the exact place they were broken. 

Did he have one of those crazy university parties they do in the US or what? Anxiety courses through me when I think about my room. I swear to god, if someone trashed it, shit's about to go down!

When I enter my room temporary relief hits -- it's intact. 

But the feeling doesn't last long. Anger takes over as I think about his irresponsible ass, stomping towards his bedroom. This asshole is about to get his ass beat.

When my hand is about to hold the doorknob, I momentarily freeze at the sound of a female voice. Not talking, no... Moaning rather loudly.

I slam the door open, hitting the wall in the process. The girl, straddling him jumps with a shriek and looks at me panicked. Certainly not Jessica, as much as we don't really care for each other she wouldn't leave the house fucking trashed, not this bad.

When I look over at Shane, he looks like he's way over his head. He's barely moving or opening his eyes and hasn't even reacted to my arrival.

Is he drunk? Oh, for God's sake.

"Leave," I tell her, she opens her mouth to counter my order but I send her a glare. "Speak a fucking word and I'll throw you out with your birthday outfit. So, get dressed and leave before I do it myself."

She grabs her clothing and scurries away, leaving me alone in the room with him. I go over to him and cover him with the sheets, not in the mood to see his junk. I slightly slap his cheeks to try and wake him up. He can't be just drunk...