THIRTEEN - Curiosity killed the cat

Friday has finally arrived and I am everything but excited about going out today

Friday has finally arrived and I am everything but excited about going out today. Somehow, Shane has the fucking ability to drag me down to these fucking nightclubs where I have to drink my soul away to have some fun.

At least Wayne will be there so I'll have some company just in case Shane decides it's his lucky night and ditches us again.

The day was spent reading until I had to go have a shower and dress up. This time, instead of jeans, I opt for a dress—slightly out of my comfort zone. Bordeaux satin and skin-tight, it falls a few inches above the knee and, fortunately, it covers my breasts well enough. It's sexy without being revealing.

Finally, I put on some black heels. Not too high though, otherwise I'd fall on my face. Just as I finish getting ready, there is a knock on my bedroom door.

"Fuck!" Shane lets out a hissed curse from the entrance, bringing my attention to him. "Damn, Mel, Wayne and I will have to fight them off you tonight!" There's a smile on his face that doesn't match his eyes, there's a glint I can't quite place at the way he's looking me up and down.

I shrug it off as protectiveness. Both have always been that way.

"Don't be ridiculous," I laugh. "Let's get this over with and go. I need a few drinks." With my arm entwined with his, we leave the apartment towards the club.

The ride is quick and uneventful and once there, Shane parks right across the street, from the club's entrance. He gets out and rounds the car, helping me out of it.

Inside, I just wave at everybody that is already present and leave Shane's arms to glue myself onto Wayne. I don't like Stephen and after the last encounter with Luca earlier this week, he is the last person I want to talk to.

So, to avoid them all, I drag Wayne to the bar, to have some shots but unfortunately, everyone follows suit.

"Hey!" Jessica's high-pitched voice sings and it makes me want to punch her until the voice thickens.

No, Mel, that would be utterly wrong.

I admit I may have some violent urges sometimes but I don't give in. Often.

Because it's wrong. I know it's wrong. It might feel amazing but we can't succumb to all the urges we have. I'm not an animal.

"Um, can we talk?" she asks.

"Sure, shoot," I force myself to say but don't move a finger.

"Privately?" she tries and I shake my head at her, telling her no.

The first reaction is the one I expected, anger, but she suddenly takes a deep breath with her eyes closed and when she opens them back, she leans closer to my ear.

"I want to apologize for being a bitch. I've come to terms that you are a big part of Shane's life and I don't want any bad blood between us. I like him."