FOUR - Ambush

"Mel? Wake up, it's almost lunchtime!" I wake up from the sound of my mom screaming from somewhere around the house, probably the kitchen by the sound of pans that follow her voice

I look at my phone and it's almost one in the afternoon. Fuck, I never oversleep! When I am about to get up and get myself ready, I notice quite a few text messages on my screen. Who the hell texted me? I rarely text someone.

Shane: Are you ok? Luca told me he walked you home safely. I hope yesterday wasn't too much for you.

Shane: Just let me know you're alright, I'm worried.

Shane: I called your house and your mom told me you're asleep. Much less worried now. Text me when you wake up.

John: You're back and you haven't even told me...

Fuck, how does he know?

The last thing I want is to speak with him or even see him. What did he expect? To break things off and once I was back from work, I would chase after him like a desperate little girl begging for him?

Fuck no! My pride and dignity are much more important for me at the moment. He wanted to live the single life, so live it, buddy! I delete his text message and text Shane.

Mel: Hi, sorry, I overslept. I'm fine, you know how I am when it's not just three of us.

After getting ready, I have lunch with mom and my grandparents. It's somewhat a quiet lunch but I notice mom's fidgety behaviour and how she keeps looking at me ever so often. I decide to ignore it since it's probably nothing to worry about, probably something to do with her boyfriend. She'll tell me if she wants to, we always tell each other what we want and need.

"Mel, we need to go to the supermarket today."

"Why?" I ask.

"I need stuff for dinner."

The pantry is full and that's weird but maybe she needs something specific so I don't dwell on it.

"Sure, I'll just have to make a few phone calls with some travel agencies regarding next year's bookings and then I'll be ready for us to go."

She nods in response and I finish my lunch before taking care of my work preparations.

I was expecting to stay in and find myself a new apartment on the internet but I guess I'll have to wait another day to start house hunting. It's not a big deal really, but I need my own space. Even though I don't have to let my mom know where I'm off to, or who I am with, it's still her house and she'll always worry about me.

After my phone call, we arrive at the supermarket and after a few hours, I'm just shocked about the number of things she's been putting in the cart. She said it was for dinner so I guess we'll have people over for dinner. Maybe my uncle, aunt, and cousins? I haven't seen them in a while so it would be kind of nice.