17

Y/N POV

   Christmas morning arrived quickly. The sound of eager students rushing to open their presents woke me up. Snow fell silently and turned the grounds into a winter wonderland. Hermione was still in bed and was nibbling on a square of chocolate as she read a new book that still had a red bow on the cover.

   "Good morning." She said without looking up.

   "Good morning," I stretched and looked at the gifts on my trunk. "Happy Christmas Hermione."

   "Yeah...-" she flipped the page. "Merry Christmas."

   I start to open my presents. A new sweater from Mrs. Weasley (this year it's maroon again), a study guide from Hermione, a box of chocolate frogs from Lee, pictures of my family from mom and dad, a framed photo of Ralph Macchio from George, a wizard chess board from Ginny, and a box of candies designed by the Weasley twins from Fred.

   I smiled brightly, feeling happier than ever and almost missed a small package. The box was wrapped neat and tightly in metallic green paper and was topped off with a gold bow. Hermione put down her book and sat beside me.

   "Who is that from?" She asked. She seemed to be in as much awe as I was, and just from the exterior of the gift. I turned the box around in my hands.

   "No tag." I pulled the bow off and gently began to unwrap. The wrapping paper came off and revealed the box itself. I opened the box and my heart almost stopped. Inside was a necklace that shone so brightly it almost glowed. The chain was so dainty it could have been ice.

   "Wow," Hermione sighed, her mouth hung open as did mine. The diamond in the middle of the chain was small but it was by fair the most beautiful necklace I had ever seen. I closed the box and tried to register the gift.

   "Wow is right." I opened the box again and my heart picked up its pace. I didn't even want to touch it, I was too afraid of breaking it. "Wow."

   "That's beautiful y/n." Hermione said and she reached for the box. I handed it to her and she took it gingerly. "Wow."

   "I can't even look at it anymore." I pulled my knees to my chest and watched her as she examined it. She closed the lid softly and set it in my palm.

   "That's an amazing gift. And so is this-" she patted the book that still had the bow on it. "-thank you y/n." I smiled and nodded.

   "I know you've wanted that one for a while." She nodded and tucked back into bed and continued reading. I stood up and looked outside at the white grounds I called home. "Have you been to breakfast yet?" She shook her head and turned another page. "Want anything?"

   "Umm...actually some tea would be lovely." She turned another page. She was already a quarter through the 600 page book. She amazed me.

   "Would that be all?"

   "Actually, could you also get some of those little pies and maybe some fudge?" Excitement shone through her eyes.

   "Yes ma'am. Coming right up." I put on slippers and head down. I move past the students in the common room, all still in their jammies, and make my way out of the portrait hole. I pass one or two people on the stairs but other than that, the halls are empty. Everyone is in the common room opening and exchanging gifts, eating treats, and planning for the ball tonight.

   My stomach lurches at the thought of the ball. I was dreading the fact I had to watch Fred dance with Lulu all night. But on the other hand, I had a charming date to dance with all night. My emotions were conflicted so I decided to stop thinking about it. I carried on towards the Great Hall.