15

Fred's POV

     December arrives quickly, and so does winter. The cold weather hits us like a stunning spell. Wind and sleet arrive at Hogwarts, sending students into their trunks to fetch beanies and scarfs. I'm extremely grateful for the warm fires and thick walls of the ancient castle every time I pass the Durmstrang ship on the lake.

In our Transfiguration class at the beginning of December, Professor McGonagall clears her throat for attention. "The Yule Ball is approaching- a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above - although you may invite a younger student if you wish -"

Y/n nudges me. I lean down so she can whisper to me. "You should invite your sister!"

"You can take my sister," I say in a grotesque tone.

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued.

I watch as y/n face lights up and it makes my stomach twist into a knot. I've never been a dancer but I'd be willing to learn, even though I'd never admit that to anyone. Y/n tried to teach me to waltz in our third year but I refused because I was too "manly" to learn. I really regret not taking her lessons now.

The classroom flooded with excitement, mostly from the girls. They whisper about dresses and nails and hair and who their dates would be. Without realizing it, I start wondering what color dress y/n would wear. Well she looks very pretty in red...

"Whatcha thinking about? Gonna compete with George and see how many girls you can get to agree to go to the ball with you?" Y/n says, popping my thoughts.

"No, although that's quite brilliant." I admit.

    "Don't flatter yourself," she says, turning her attention back to Professor McGonagall.

    "Class dismissed!" McGonagall says and everyone stands up. I sling my bag over my shoulder and so does y/n.

    "Who's the unlucky bloke you want to go with to the ball?" I ask and she shrugs.

    "Not sure. Want about you? Gonna ask Lulu?" She asks with a smirk.

"Nah, she's okay but no," I didn't want to take Lulu. To be honest, there's only one girl I would want to take-

"Y/n!" George yells and catches up with us in the hall.

"Yes Georgie?" She asks sweetly.

"You gonna go to the ball with Cedricccc," he says winking multiple times at her. She shoves him hard and he lands on a small Ravenclaw boy, practically taking the kid down.

"We're just friends!" She says which calms my racing heart. She looks up at me. "Don't you worry," she bumps me with her hips.

Transfiguration was our last class of the day so we headed off to the dorms. I get stuck in my head, thinking about the ball and dancing and dressing up. Y/n grabs the front of my robes and pulls me onto a staircase just as it shudders and moves, taking us along in another direction then our original plan. The stair case was crowded so in order for me to fit, I was pushed up against her.

I could smell her perfume. And the product she showed me she uses in her hair. My skin felt hot where her hand was still on my chest, a fistful of my robes, keeping me from falling off the back of the stairs. When the stairs shuddered to a stop she looked back at me with a grin. "I'll never stop loving that!"

We make our way through the portrait hole and find the common room packed. The fire danced and dimly illuminated the room. The sky outside was gray and looked promising of some weather. Y/n sits on a sofa in front of the fire and opens up a book. As soon as she settles, Hermione, Ron, and Harry walk in.