21

Fred's POV

   The days tick by quickly and the night before the second task arrives. I sat in the library "studying". I really was just avoiding y/n and the boy toy. I slouched in my chair in the far corner of the library, near the restricted area. Ever since that night after Valentine's Day, the library was my only real escape.

"Cedric asked me to be his girlfriend." She had said, picking at her nails, avoiding my eyes. I remember the pit in my stomach and how badly my throat burned. I felt cold despite the roaring fire of the Gryffindor common room.

"And?" I had asked.

"I said yes." She choked out, still avoiding eye contact. I sighed deeply and tried to swallow, but it only made it worse. The glow of the fire reflected in her glossy eyes. Small chunks of hair framed her beautiful face. After a few moments of silence, I finally mustered the courage to speak my mind.

"Y/n, he's going to break your heart." I said, so quiet I was afraid she hadn't heard me and I would have had to repeat myself. Although I thought it was true, I regretted saying it.

It broke my heart when she finally looked up at me and met my eyes. But it didn't change the way I felt. She got up without another word and left me there alone. It's been nine whole days since I've talked to my best friend. It was quiet in the library, and whenever she came here, she sat far enough away so that I couldn't hear her laugh.

God, what I'd do to make her laugh again. But maybe this is for the best. It hurts less to just stay away from her than to watch another man make her laugh. And smile. And blush.

A breeze flips the page in the book I wasn't even interested in and just randomly grabbed off the shelf. It pulls me from my trance. I sigh heavily and run a hand through my hair that was getting a bit too long. When I got back to the common room, I'd need to ask y/n to cut it-

Or I'd just have to learn to do it myself. I slouch farther into my chair, so much that I'm almost eye level with the table. This was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I decide I've had enough "studying" time, and feeling sorry for myself time, so I gather my things and start to head home. As I walk through the library, I catch a glimpse of gold in the corner of my eye.

I stop and turn toward it. The golden egg sits on a desk, and Cedric Diggory sits behind it, studying it as though it was a map. In his hands is a book. I search for y/n, and find that she isn't with him. A sliver of excitement races through me. Have they broken up? Got into a fight? To either confirm or deny my suspicions, I approach him, hoping my advances aren't for nothing.

"Hey, Cedric. Big day tomorrow, huh?" Cedric looks up at me with exhaustion rimming around his dark eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, big day." He mutters and returns to studying the egg.

"Hey, where's y/n? I need to talk to her about a project." There's no project. Duh.

"You know, I was just about to ask you the same." Cedric admits. "You don't know where she is either?"

That was very unlike y/n to go off without telling anyone. Especially her best friend. Or her boyfriend. Ugh, labeling Cedric as her boyfriend makes me nauseous.

"No, not since breakfast." Where she and I sat feet feet apart, instead of mere inches, with Mr Diggory between us. She actually looked quite beautiful this morning. I'd steal glances at her between sips of pumpkin juice.

"Last time I saw her was about two hours ago, when she said she had to go get something from the common room." Cedric says, eyebrows furrowed. "Huh, that's strange. She probably just fell asleep." He chuckles and starts flipping through a book.