13

Y/N POV

I wake up to Hermione shaking me. "Y/n! You slept through breakfast! It's only a few minutes until class!" She says breathlessly, her frizzy hair tied back in a sloppy bun. I sit up bolt right and throw back my blankets. I rush to my trunk and pull on my school clothes as quickly as I can. Hermione checks the time and squeaks quietly. "I'm so sorry, I have to go!" She glances once more at the time, and then scurries out the door.

I slip on my shoes and race out after her. I have advanced potions first this morning so I just know I'm going to be late. As I pass through the portrait hole, I'm joined by a tall boy with red head. "Hey, can we talk-whoa whoa whoa, slow down!" Fred races to keep up with me. I push past some other students on the stairs as I practically fly down the staircase. "Hey, if I made you upset last night-"

"Fred, no time to talk." I say, as we reach the last flight of stairs before the dungeons.

"But, it's important-"

"Fred! Can't you see I'm la-whoa!" As I turned to look at Fred, I miss a stair and I trip. Just in time, Fred reaches out and catches me.

"Whoa there, I gotcha, I gotcha," he says with a grin. I hold on tightly to his biceps as I regain my balance.

"Nice catch," I say as I let go of his arms. "Thank you."

"Always." He says looking down at me. We're standing really close and there's an energy between us. A tension. Not exactly sure what kind of tension but it's definitely there. The faint smell of cinnamon and gunpowder fills my nose. We stare at each other for a few moments before he breaks the tension. He awkwardly chuckles and scratches the back of his head.

"You were saying something about being late?" He asks and I come to my senses.

"Yes!" I say pointing up at him. "Yes!" I turn to the potions door but giving in to the urge, I turn back around to fix his tie. "You can't just walk around here looking like this, Fred Weasley!" He smiles softly as I re-tie it. When it's perfect, I pat his cheek twice. "Okay! I'm going to class now! I'll see you later!"

I run to the door and rush into the class. I try to walk ever so slowly to my desk without Professor Snape noticing, but before I can get there, the heavy door slams behind me with a thud. Everyone's eyes are on me, including Snape's terrifying dark ones.

"Ahh, y/l/n, decided your education was  important, did you?" He asks, his voice chilling the hairs on the back of my neck.

"No. I mean yes. No, I mean no. Okay look, I just slept-"

"You will call me sir," he corrected, flicking a strand of his greasy hair out of his face.

"No sir," I said, feeling my blood begin to boil. "I was just saying-"

"I don't have time for excuses and lies! Ten points from Gryffindor for tardiness. Find your seat." He says coldly. He pushes his greasy black hair out of his eyes again and heads to the front of the classroom. I take a deep breath and sit beside Cedric who doesn't even look at me when I sit down.

When Snape's back is turned I pat Cedric's knee. "Good morning champion," I whisper with a huge smile. He turns his head slowly, not taking his eyes off the back of Snape's head. His grey eyes look cloudy and almost sad. "What's wrong?"

"Nothings wrong." He whispers back.

"You never were a good liar," I hiss and sneak a look back up at Snape.

"I just don't want to talk about it," he says as he starts picking at the skin of one of his fingers. "Not here at least."

"After class? Okay?"