A Bonus: Missed Connections

PSA: this takes place at the beginning of the spring semester, junior year! Before the events of the story!

Blake walks into the party with Lara and Ava by her side, the first party since classes have started again. They're all looking forward to unwinding and catching up with people they haven't had a chance to see yet.

"I'm gonna do some rounds," Lara grins, eyes scanning the crowd. "You guys coming?"

Ava nods, "I'm in."

"I think I'll find Ryan and hangout for a bit, text me?" Blake hums, crossing her arms. Her friends nod and go their separate ways, leaving Blake to her own devices.

It's a smaller party, especially for Kappa Sigma, but it's also not even the weekend yet. They invited some of their closer friends to hangout, and the three girls were encouraged to stop by by Ryan since he wanted to hangout with them. That's why it started earlier than usual, the sun setting, but no shortage of drunk frat boys roaming the large house.

She maneuvers to the backyard, no sign of Ryan yet. Blake talks to a few people in passing, but her attention is called away by a drunk someone yelling.

"Hey!" He chuckles, garnering her attention. Scruff paints his face, a white shirt clinging to his skin. Blake things it might be a little too tight on him, but it only accentuates his muscles. He knows it's tight, but he knows he looks good, too. "Hold up!"

"Ethan, right?" She asks curiously, licking her lips when he jobs closer. He smirks, eyeing her up and down as she walks closer, sipping on the drink in his hand. It's not as strong as the shots he took earlier.

"Mmmmhmm. And you're... Blake?"

"I am."

"Can I get you a drink?" Ethan asks, pointing to her and then toward the bar.

Blake isn't sure how much she wants to drink tonight, but she shrugs and that's enough of a yes for him.

He cracks his knuckles, gaze lingering on her chest and far too clean neck for longer than it should before he leads her to the outdoor bar. Ethan grabs a red solo cup, blinking slowly, off-balance as he mixes her something that's sure to just taste like rubbing alcohol in the end.

They've gone to school together for years, but they don't normally talk. Blake is only indulging him right now because she couldn't find Ryan, and he looks too drunk to be left alone. It's doubtful he'll remember this in the morning.

Blake takes the drink and mumbles a thank you, scrunching her nose up at the first sip. "This is disgusting, Dolan. No wonder you're so drunk already."

"It's a party," he excuses, fingertips tapping his chin, smiling wide at her. "I never noticed how goddamn pretty you are, Adams." Blake let's out a laugh, brushing off his compliment. He probably says it to a different girl every night. "I don't see you around much."

She shrugs, grinning innocently and taking a sip of the burning drink. "I'm around. Maybe you'd notice if you weren't always so invested in finding someone to sleep with for the night."

"Ouch! Careful," he chuckles, pushing a strand of Blake's hair behind her ear, "you might just bruise my ego."

She hums, licking her lips. "We wouldn't want that, would we?"

Ethan leans closer, which she can't tell if it's because he's drunk or thinking about kissing her. It's the latter, but even this drunk he knows he can't just kiss her outright. She thinks she might let him, if it came down to it.

He surveys the yard, seeing Grayson talking to some friends. "It's kinda loud out here, what do you say we... go talk? Upstairs or-or just in the front yard?"

Blake knows she should find Ryan, or her friends, or catch up with some other people she knows, but she's curious about him. All this time they've gone without really knowing each other, just outside of the others circle. There's no harm in talking to him while he sobers up some.

She opens her mouth to agree before a hand clamps down on her shoulder. It's Ryan, pulling her in for a hug.

"It's been too long since I've seen you, B," he laughs, nodding at Ethan. "Thanks for keeping her company, bro. Mind if I steal her?"

"Actually, Ryan, we were-"

"She's your friend, I guess," Ethan shrugs. His attention is immediately brought to a sorority girl grabbing his arm. He glances back at Blake, but she's already being spoken to.

Ryan launches into a story of his time over summer, dragging Blake away and erasing the connection that was about to be made. Ethan forgets the night completely, and Blake thinks nothing of the interaction after just a few minutes.