3: Dogs Are Great Wingmen

Ethan walks down the street with Blake, feeling accomplished the entire time. Yes, he annoyed her into accepting, but he still got to go.

He feels like he's making real progress with her. Not to mention, he actually kinda likes Blake. The more he gets to know her, the cooler she turns out to be.

As a very independent person, he's definitely testing her limits. He likes pushing her buttons though, and Blake won't hesitate to call him out if he's doing too much. Right now, she's still entertained by him. Of course, his insistence for certain things like this can get a bit frustrating, but she's brought friends over before. She won't get in trouble because Ethan tagged along to dog-sit.

"You can stop playing hard to get, y'know."

"What makes you think I'm playing?" Blake snorts, not even glancing sideways at him. Ethan's eyes are on her neck, wishing his lips were there instead. "You're not my type, Dolan."

"I don't have to be your type to fuck you good, chérie," he grins, licking his lips. He catches her brows raising, her lips pursing, but not even letting her eyes dart over to glance at him. "When's the last time someone fucked you?"

"I had this fling back home in July," Blake indulges him in the conversation. She isn't shy about the topic.

Ethan chokes, "It's been months? You must be tense. If you need someone to help you out, I'm your guy--"

"Who says I need someone else?" She smirks, still not giving him the satisfaction of eye contact. He's getting desperate for it, trying to jog ahead of her to get her eyes on him. This is unusual for Ethan. Blake only picks up the pace and continues to stare straight ahead.

"Don't tease me like that, chérie. The image of you in bed with your fingers--"

"Just fingers? What am I, a teenager?"

Ethan chokes again. Before he can ask her to elaborate, she knocks on the door of someone's house. They arrived way too soon for his liking.

Blake wipes the smug look off of her face as the door opens, a short older woman greeting them both with a smile. "Hi, Elaine! I hope I'm not late. I got a little held up. I brought a friend--he really wanted to meet Bo."

"Oh, you're fine, dear! Thank you for coming tonight on such short notice." They enter, and immediately a beagle comes running toward them. Blake kneels to pet him, laughing as his large ears flop around. "I already gave him dinner, so don't let him fool you. I'll see you in a few hours!"

"Bye, Elaine!" Blake waves, the door shutting as Bo starts licking her face. "Quit it! I missed you too, babe."

"You call the dog babe?"

"Look at him!" She gushes, picking up the excited dog. "Dolan, meet Bo."

"He's cute," Ethan laughs, but his gaze isn't on the dog for long. Instead, it falls on Blake. She's kissing him, her eyes lit up. Sun is shining in through the thin white curtains and is reflecting off her eyes and kissing her skin. Ethan isn't much for anything sappy, but he thinks she looks pretty. "Am I ever gonna be on a first name basis?"

"Play your cards right and maybe."

Blake knows she's only encouraging him, but she doesn't care.

For the first time since they left the frat house, she looks straight at him. Blake is intrigued by his determination to get with her. Not enough to give him what he wants, though. She doesn't understand why he's trying so hard anyway.

Is it just that she hurt his fragile ego? Perhaps he thinks hooking up with her would mend the bruises. But Blake knows for a fact that Ethan still got laid at that party--in earnest she saw him dragging some blonde upstairs not even half an hour later, and a different sorority girl for a second round by the time she was leaving. He could go after anyone else and he'd probably have better luck, but instead he was here flirting with her. It was almost cute, if not for the reason.