20: Moment of Weakness

"Dolan, can you help me with this roof sheet?"

Ethan rolls his eyes, pretending not to hear Blake. In turn, it only makes her huff and whack him in the arm with it. "That's not my name, chérie."

"Oh, shut the fuck up and help me carry this," Blake scoffs, to which he scoffs back but ultimately helps her move it. She doesn't thank him, only dusts herself off and goes to get herself some water, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand. "He's getting on my goddamn nerves."

Grayson laughs as Blake sits next to him, giving the girl a nod. "Yeah, he does that."

It's Wednesday, about halfway through their trip now. Mostly, it's been really good--they've done a ton of work, relaxed and partied a bit every night, and hung out with friends while getting to know new people. They took a tour of the Cathedral of Santa Ana together, which is probably one of the most gorgeous places they've all ever been to. They also took a few trips to the city just to explore, some as a big group and a few times they went without the boys.

Of course, the six of them hanging out is always a little weird considering how tense Ethan and Blake are right now. They've progressed from friendly-awkwardness to vitriolic-tension, where they become annoyed at the sight of one another. They try to ignore each other still, but there have been some snide comments made here and there among other things.

As soon as they're done working for the day, Blake retreats to take a shower. Today was one of the hottest since they'd been there--everyone was pretty much constantly sweating. Not to mention they were covered in dirt from building all day, so they were all ready to hit the showers and then grab dinner before the nights activities.

Ethan is flirting with another random girl when Blake walks in, but interestingly enough, he strikes out. He's already built a reputation of flirting without following through, so a lot of the girls are over it.

She can't pretend that doesn't make her just a little bit happy to hear.

"Lara, are we still going into Santa Ana to check out that cafe?" Grayson asks his girlfriend when she sits down, her nodding immediately. "Sick. Ava and Ryan are gonna come into the city with us, but they have other plans."

"What're you gonna do, B?" Ava asks, nudging her.

"Probably go to the beach for a little, and then who knows?" She shrugs, sipping on her water. She'll find something to do--there are people she likes in the group she can hangout with if she wants to.

Ethan comes wandering over and slumps into the seat next to Grayson, stealing a piece of fruit from his brothers plate. He looks right through Blake as he jumps into conversation, and when she remembers she's done eating, that's her cue to get going.

Seeing him just makes her so mad. He's been acting like even more of a cocky asshole than he used to be, and meaner now for sure. It's like he doesn't care about anything.

He does, though. He cares about a lot. He cares about her a lot. But being like this is sure as hell easier, and honestly, a little more fun than sulking.

In Blake's mind, it just confirms ending things was the right thing to do. If only she didn't have to spend so much time near him lately--but back at campus? Avoidance will be much simpler.

She slips into a white bikini, grabs a towel, and strolls down to the beach. A lot of other people are already there, tossing around a beach ball, drinking, swimming and the like. No matter how annoyed Ethan makes her, it's hard to be in a horrible mood surrounded by all of this. Especially in such a cool place, doing good things.