9: Bad Ideas

The campus coffee shop is bustling, packed with students looking for tables to study at or to get their caffeine fix. Idle chatter and indie music plays inside, people filtering in and out.

Scooping her coffee off the counter, Blake drops a tip in the jar and slips her headphones back in to leave. She sips on the drink and squeezes out the door, her head bobbing to the beat of her music. Her hair, which is secured with a pencil--or rather a few, because just one would not hold it up--threatens to unravel as she does.

It's a rare warm day this late in the year, probably the last for a while. She has her sleeves rolled up to her elbows, letting the sunbeams lick at her skin like flames and the breeze put it out all on its own.

As she pushes into the library doors, her phone buzzes. She ignores it for a second, securing a table far in the back corner, lost between shelves and almost always empty. Sitting down and pulling out her things, she glances at texts from Ethan.

Ethan: bored. kinda want u here sitting on my face
Ethan: or with my dick down your throat
Ethan: or inside of you!
Ethan: i'm really not picky. just want you here with me chérie
Ethan: what do you say?

She rolls her eyes at his texts, and the picture that comes through of him pouting. Another one comes through right after of him winking, quickly followed by a shot of him shirtless in the mirror, sweatpants low on his hips, a half-hard bulge visible.

It makes her snort, picturing him jumping out of bed just to quickly take it, trying to entice her to come over. But she's only just settled into the library and is definitely not stopping by Kappa tonight.

Blake: I'm studying, sorry
Blake: get yourself off. sure you're used to that
Blake: You can think about me :)
Ethan: ok first. why are you so mean
Blake: you're getting harder though aren't you
Ethan: ...
Ethan: second, you didn't turn auto caps off did you? you just purposely try and type in lowercase for me? that's cute
Blake: I like auto caps
Ethan: you text like my mom
Blake: your mom texts you about jerking off?
Ethan: omg gross you know what I mean
Ethan: stop studying and come hangout with me rn tho
Blake: Moan my name when you cum <3

With a sigh, she puts her phone to the side on silent, a few more notifications already coming through. If she keeps texting him she'll get too distracted and won't get anything done. He frowns at his phone when he doesn't get more responses, however.

Ethan still has to fight for her attention. A couple of months of this, and he still feels like he's competing for something, and the prize is her. He's the only one in the race, though.

Blake sips on her coffee again and opens up her laptop and one of her textbooks. She presses play on her studying playlist and gets started. Her eyes dart across the pages at a mile a minute, trying to soak up the information as fast as possible. Pen clicking, she jots a few things down here and there.

Time seems to pass faster than light and slower than molasses simultaneously, her eyes turning bloodshot and her hands aching. Blake doesn't even take note of the sun setting in the window behind her, all the light in the library becoming artificial as she continues to work.

The girl is unsure just how much time has passed, seeing movement from the corner of her eye. She ignores it, until they're pulling out the seat next to her.

"Earth to Blake," Ethan laughs, gently tapping the table. "You been here all day?"

She blinks slowly, taking out both of her headphones. Her eyes burn when she finally starts blinking them, filling with tears. "Uh--no, I only got here a little after four, when you texted me."