2: What's a Girl Worth?

The next time Ethan sees Blake is in the quad.

He's walking with a few brothers after class, laughing as one of them trips and gets grass stains along his white shoes and dirt on his knees. Ethan shakes his head, muttering, "Dumbass." Offering Chad a hand, he pulls him to his feet. His eyes fall about thirty feet behind him, on Blake talking to a small group of people. She holds a clipboard, a smile on her face as she hands them some pens.

His brothers raise their eyebrows, Ryan elbowing Ethan. "Dude, I don't think you're gonna score that one. I know her--frat guys aren't really her type."

"She's just playing hard to get," Ethan hums, twirling his pen between his fingers. "And I'm gonna go collect."

"Alright, good luck, bro. We'll see you back at the house."

He waves and saunters across the quad toward her, light on his feet. Blake's a challenge, and Ethan never says no to those.

In fact, that only made him more interested. Seeing her again makes him excited. He doesn't want to harass her, but her playful denial makes him believe it's okay to keep flirting with her. He's right about that, but it's actually because Blake finds it amusing, not her wanting to sleep with him like he's hoping.

She twirls around to face him and smiles, which he takes as a good sign. Placing a hand on her hip, her fingers tapped the back of the clipboard. "You again, Dolan?"

"Hey, chérie," he sends a wolfish grin, crossing his arms. "Whatcha doing out here?"

"Last time I checked I do go to school here," Blake laughs, slowly looking him up and down. "But if you really wanna know, I'm actually trying to get people to sign this petition. It's advocating for gender equality in--"

Ethan tunes out right about there.

It's not that he doesn't care--he understands whatever she's talking about is probably important, but his attention span is comparable to a goldfish, today especially. Instead of listening, he sinks his teeth into his bottom lip and checks her out. Occasionally nodding, doing his best to pretend he's listening of course.

Blake's wearing a button-up dress, the top few buttons undone and showing some black lace peeking out from underneath. It's decently short--he finds himself hoping the breeze might pick up.

He also curiously notices she's wearing a small gold ring on a chain around her neck, but that doesn't last long before his gaze is on her collarbones. Ethan imagines covering them in dark hickies, making her beg for more, licking his lips.

"--so I'm just trying to get a few more," Blake explains. "I really should get back to that."

"You're not gonna ask me if I wanna sign it?"

She laughs, sitting on the fountain behind them and looking through names signed to make sure none of them are fake. Ethan raises his eyebrows at her. "Oh, you were serious?"

"Yeah, I care about... this petition," he nods, "hand it over."

Blake lets Ethan sign, though she doesn't quite believe he even knows what it's for. He really doesn't know anything more about it other than it's something for gender equality. But if she cares about it, what better way to show support than signing it for her?

If impressing her and helping her out will help get him what he wants, it definitely doesn't hurt. Plus, it seems like a good cause, from what he had heard. Though Ethan was surprised to see her spending her afternoon getting signatures from random college students in the quad instead of doing something more fun.

Clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth, he smiles at her again. "You look good today."

"Thanks, Dolan. But I really should get back to it," Blake shakes her head, though he catches a hint of a smile ghosting her lips. That's enough to give him ideas.