XXVI

Noah stayed over the entire weekend. He slept in Jeremy's room. I heard them talking and laughing late at night. I was two seconds from suffocating myself with my pillow. I laid awake for hours, listening to their conversations. It was official. I, Sam Malone, was jealous of my older brother's relationship.

My jealously reached a new height on Sunday morning, after I had woken up from a restless sleep.

I came downstairs to get breakfast. I knew Jeremy was already awake, as usual.

I didn't know Noah was up too, assuming his position as the most perky human being on the face on the Earth.

Not only were Jeremy and Noah up at the same hour, they had to eat breakfast together.

So I saw Jeremy and Noah feeding each other cereal at the table.

They. Made. Me. Sick.

Didn't people ever get sick of constantly being disgustingly happy?

"Morning." I mumbled, going to the fridge to get orange juice.

"Morning. You look awful." Jeremy said.

"Wow, thanks."

"Are you sick?"

"I think. I don't know. I didn't get much sleep last night." I stared hard at Jeremy.

"You go to bed pretty late."

"That's not the problem, trust me."

While I poured myself a glass of juice, Jeremy and Noah went back to obnoxiously eating cereal together.

When I was back in my room, my phone vibrated on the dresser.

I answered it, oddly hoping Mike was calling.

"Hello?"

"Hi."

I glanced at the phone curiously, "Anthony?"

"You sound surprised."

"I t-thought you deleted my number."

"I lied."

"Oh. I'm happy you didn't."

I closed my door, not wanting anyone to hear me.

"Are you alright? I mean, have you been doing okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Are you, um, still going out with Mike?"

"Yes." I went over to the window and shut the blinds.

"You care about him?"

"Uh....you don't want to know."

"Guess I don't."

"I'm s-sorry. I have t-to go. I can't be on the phone right now."

I imagined Mike's face if he found out I was talking to Anthony. He'd be outraged.

I couldn't face that.

"Why?"

"I can't tell you," I whispered.

"Sam, you're scaring me."

"I'm sorry."

I hung up on him, my eyes beginning to moisten with tears. I let out a strangled sob, covering my face as if someone could see me. The fear of being found out was crippling me already.

"Sam, your brother-"

Noah barged into my room without knocking and caught me crying my eyes out.