XXXVIII

-Jeremy's Point Of View-

If I've learned anything in my twenty-six years of life, it's that accidents happen.

No one means to cause accidents, because that's exactly what they are. But when an accident happens once, and it keeps happening, you have to wonder if someone is making the same mistake over and over. Then, blame starts being assigned. I blamed myself when I heard what Sam's boyfriend was doing to him. I told myself I let it happen and that I should of been more involved in his life. This was my accident.

-Sam's Point Of View-

Mrs. Miller called Mike and I up to her desk after she dismissed class. Mike, who was wearing his football jersey for his important game that day, didn't talk to me at all except to cheat off me during the test.

"Your grades have improved, Mike," Mrs. Miller lowered her glasses on her nose to glance at Mike closely, "in fact, they've improved so much that your D has miraculously become a B."

Mike shrugged, "Hard work, I guess."

My hard work, he meant.

"Yes, I agree. There was effort involved. But the question is, who's effort was it? This is your second year in my class, Mike, and you are still lazy about your assignments. When I paired you with Sam I thought you'd do better. Well, when you didn't, I branded you a lost cause. Then I looked over some of your last few assignments."

She took Mike's homework from the pile of papers on her desk and placed it in front of him.

"You see, your work is identical to Sam's work. My only A plus student." She put my paper next to Mike's.

The only thing that was different were our names.

Mike and I exchanged shocked glances.

"I found it quite hilarious that you just didn't turn in Sam's paper, Mike."

"You can't prove I copied." Mike said defiantly.

He was just digging a bigger hole for both of us.

"Number ten asks you to explain logarithms in your own words. Both of your sentences are the same, right down to the punctuation."

"Mrs. Miller-" Mike scoffed.

"I'm disappointed in you more than anything, Sam. You're so intelligent. Now I don't know what to think. But I know what to do. Mike, you will receive two weeks of academic suspension and detention. Sam, you will serve three weeks of detention. You will both receive an F for the rest of the semester."

"Academic suspension? Mrs. Miller, I have a game today. The team can't win without me."

I didn't care about the detention. Sitting in solitude for three weeks was a small price to pay for letting Mike cheat. I'd finally be with Anthony.

"That's unfortunate, but lying on multiple assignments is grounds for suspension from extracurricular activities."

"If I don't play today, I can't play for the rest of the season." Mike was hysterical.

"I'm aware. Both of your detentions start tomorrow. You may go to your next class."

Mike wouldn't move. I had to take his wrist and drag him out of the classroom.
Taking him outside seemed like the only option. He looked like he'd suffocate if he stayed in the building a minute longer.

"Mike, calm down. It's not the end of the world." I assured him once we were in the courtyard.

"It's not for you! A whole team isn't depending on you! My life is over." He was about to lose his mind.

"It's not over. You'll be fine."

"You don't get it! I'm a senior. If I don't play today, I can't play in state finals. That means no college, no football, no nothing. I'm done and it's all your fault!"

"My fault? You forced me!" I was tired of consoling him.

"You could of told me no!"

"You were beating me up, Mike! I didn't have a choice! You would of killed me if I said no to you and you know it!"

"How about I kill you right now? Do us both a favor?"

He stepped forward, menacing.

"Stay away from me. I'm done being your rag doll."

"Oh, please. You love me."

"I never loved you. Maybe once I did, but it wasn't real. You were a distraction from who I really love. Anthony."

"What about all those times you said you loved me? Were you lying?" He suddenly became desperate, his voice little.

"Yes! Finally, you get it!"

"B-But, I love you. Why did you lie? Why don't you love me like I love you?" He tried to embrace me, but I shoved him off.

"This is what you do, Mike. You tear me down and then you try to make up for it by saying you love me. But if you meant it, you wouldn't hurt me constantly. I'm done with your sick psycho games."

Mike stared through me.

I began to walk away.

He snatched me back, my body hurtling and brutally hitting the pavement. My head got the worst of the impact.

I moaned, the pain crippling.

"Remember, I'm doing this because I love you." He spoke in a hushed voice.

Mike must of smashed mdy head into the ground to knock me unconscious. I feel blows to every part of my body, each one more painful and tortuous than the last. I didn't need to be awake to know he did severe damage to my face. Blood was surely everywhere.

Mike did everything but take my life.

I remember my body going entirely numb, but I knew Mike was still there.

He must of left me laying there. For the split second I could open my eyes, Mike was gone.

The last thing I saw was the vibrant blue sky overhead and Anthony running toward me.