IX

"You never listen, Sam! I don't talk to hear my own freaking voice!" Jeremy yelled.

When Jeremy found me trying to sneak in the house at midnight, he did what he did best. He screamed.

"I said you couldn't go anywhere near Anthony and you deliberately disobeyed me! You spend every waking moment with him, what were you so late for?"

"It's none of your business why I was late, Jeremy."

"I need to know everything that happens in your life. Everything. And it is my business because I told you that you couldnt see Anthony anymore. So I need to know, what were you doing?"

"I can see him if I want to," I said, "and I'm not telling you what we were doing. It's my life and I'm tired of you bossing me around all the time."

"Sam, sometimes you forget that I'm in charge of you. I am your legal guardian. Therefore, whatever I say goes. Tell me what you were doing with him. Now." He demanded.

I was thankful he had stopped shouting, unfortunately, I felt an interrogation coming on.

"It's best if you don't know. Trust me." I responded, wondering if Jeremy could see my hickeys with my hood up.

"That's not an answer. I'm giving you ten seconds."

"Okay," I sighed, deciding it wasn't worth the fight, "um.....we were....sort of.....uh..."

"Are you trying to tell me that you were having sex with him?"

I nodded, chewing my fingernails.

"Sam, I told you, that's exactly what he wants. He's using you. That's the kind of guy Anthony is. He doesn't care about anyone but himself."

"You don't even know him, Jeremy. He has a bad history, but that doesn't mean he can't love me. You have no clue what he's been through or the kind of stuff he has to deal with on a daily basis."

"Stuff like what?" Jeremy scoffed.

I've said too much already.

"He knows that his dad cheated on his mom, but he's not allowed to say anything. Bet you didn't know that, did you?"

"You're making this up."

"I'm not. I swear on my life that he told me that. So forgive me if I don't feel like dumping him because you have some personal vendetta."

"As horrible as that is, I don't care what he's been through. You're not seeing him and that is final. I'm doing this for your safety."

I shook my head at him, disappointed in his little consideration for what I wanted.

"You don't want me to be happy, do you? Just because you've never had love doesn't mean you have to take it away from those of us who do."

"I'm not doing this to be evil, Sam. I'm really trying to keep you safe. You are my responsibility. I couldn't handle it if anything happened to you."

"Nothing will happen to me. Anthony wouldn't let me get hurt. Maybe if you really knew him, you'd understand where I'm coming from."

"Sam, it's not a discussion. You're ungrounded, but until further notice, you can't see Anthony."

"I can't believe you're ruining my life like this. You've changed, Jeremy. And not for the better."

He stared at me with the same cold, stony expression of his face.

"I think you should go to bed now. It's late."

"It's Saturday."

"I don't care. Bed."