XI

I didn't feel as wonderfully depressed as I thought. When we got home, my bad mood intensified. I knew going up to my room and sulking would only make me feel a thousand times worse. I was still worn out from sleeping in the hospital, so I wallowed in my self pity to keep myself awake.

Anthony didn't go back on what he said. He hadn't called me once. When Jeremy noticed me gawking at my phone, he asked to have it until I went back to school. I happily gave it up.

No phone, no school, and no Anthony. No life.

"Let's do something fun." Jeremy suggested as I mindlessly clicked through the channels on the tv.

I shook my head noiselessly.

"Yes," He insisted, "what do you want to do?"

"Nothing," I whispered.

"You've been doing nothing long enough."

"Might as well continue."

"Pick something to do or I will."

I hadn't eaten in two days and didn't have the physical nor emotional energy to deal with Jeremy.

"You pick," I sighed.

"I didn't expect you to give up this easily. You usually fight with me first."

"It's an off day."

"Chess?"

"No."

"Food?"

I wasn't sure what to make of that, so I responded with a head shake.

"Want to go outside?"

"Absolutely not."

"You can't rot in front of this TV forever."

I shrugged, sighing again.

"You can't do this everyday, though."

"Yes, I can and I will."

"Sam,"

"What?" I responded irritably.

"Fine, if you don't want to get off this couch, then I'm going to work."

"Okay. See you later."

"I'm keeping your phone."

"Whatever. Nobody ever calls me anyway."

"What if Anthony calls?"

"He won't."

"But what if he does?"

"Jeremy, he made it clear that he doesn't want anything to do with me. Honestly, you should be apologizing to me for ruining the only relationship I've ever had."

"Wait, why should I apologize to you?"

"Anthony broke up with me because I told you about his parents. His mom found out and she left."

"It must of slipped out when I was talking to someone."

Now that I was really thinking about it, I had been directing my anger at the wrong person.

"I'm not hearing an apology."

"This isn't my fault, Sam. Anthony trusted you with a secret. The moment you open your mouth to somebody else, it's not a secret anymore. As far as I knew, that was just regular news. I hear that kind of stuff all the time."

"What do you mean?"

"Anthony's family is the richest family in town. Of course his dad was running around on his mom. It wasn't even a secret, Sam. Everybody already knew. Anthony's so called secret just confirmed it. It was only new information to Anthony's mother because she was oblivious."

"That's ridiculous."

"It's true."

"Then....I have to go back to school."

"No, Sam."

"I have to. Once I tell Anthony it wasn't really my fault, he'll forgive me."

"You don't know that certain. This could only make him madder."

"How?"

"You're basically calling him stupid. Imagine how horrible that would be, somebody telling you that the whole town knew about your father's affair except you."

"He needs to know that I'm not to blame for this."

"He's better off not knowing. Please, calm down. You're going to give yourself another asthma attack."

"But....he has take me back. I can't live like this for the rest of my life."

"You're sixteen. You aren't going to find the love of your life in high school."

"Think back to when you were my age. Don't tell me you never felt the way I do. Everything is life or death right now."

"Okay, you are getting too dramatic. I have to go to work...so just...take a nap or something. Dr.Greene said you need rest."

"I've been sleeping for almost two days straight."

"Then you shouldn't have any trouble doing it again."

He took the remote out of my hands and turned the tv off.

"Bed." He pointed upstairs.

"It's three in the afternoon. If I go to bed now, I'll be up all night."

"That's too bad. Go to bed, Sam. Please."

I trudged toward the stairs. When I got up to my room I knew all I would do is cry, so I took as long as I possibly could to get there.

"You're making me feel bad." Jeremy sighed.

"That's not my intention."

"We'll talk when I get back, okay?"

I nodded, climbing the steps slowly.

Lord, how I wanted to fall.