Epilogue

I was diagnosed with PTSD the day Mike killed himself. Along with anxiety. I began to have nightmares nearly every night about Mike and his suicide. When I wasn't having frightening dreams about that, I stayed awake all hours of the night.

Often, I would run from a room or break down in sobs when the situation was perfectly fine. I'd spend countless hours hiding in my room, praying to God for the horrific nightmares to leave me alone.

But I couldn't escape Mike.
The only person who could pull me out of my moods was Anthony.

Jeremy knew I wouldn't be able to bear some nights without Anthony, so Jeremy let him sleep over. No more than three times a week, though.

And we had to keep my room door wide open at all times.

Homeschool was going okay. Anya, Anthony's older sister, was my teacher. My grades were decent.

Jeremy, Noah, Anthony, and I visited Mom and Dad's grave religiously.

Noah and Anthony poked fun at Jeremy for days because of his name. They had blackmail material.

There was a special candle lighting ceremony at the high school on the anniversary of Mike's death.

I had been asked to light the last candle, which was the biggest one in the center. It was also the candle closest to the framed picture of Mike. He had on his football jersey in the photo.

He did look his best in it.
The tradition was never broken.

In a weird, twisted sort of way, I had to thank Mike for what he put me through. If it wasn't for him, I would never been reunited with Anthony.

Even when we were both accepted to the University of Hawaii, which were both of our first choices, we returned to Ohio for the candle lighting ceremony.
The nightmares were frequent. I didn't mind them after a while. Anthony and I shared a dorm at the university, so he kissed the nightmares away.

Every now and then, I thank Mike. He might of been heartless and cruel, but what could he do? Whatever had him so sick defeated him. Sometimes, I believed he let that part of himself take over on purpose.

It'd be a mystery forever.
And that's okay.