XVI

This chapter is dedicated to bubblybubbles, my new bestie here on Wattpad. She's great, go check out her stories sometime.
Also, who has heard Nicki Minaj's new song Only? On repeat for days...

When Friday came, the whole school was excited. With the exception of me.

There was a big football game that afternoon. It was so huge because it was the varsity's team tenth game, potentially their tenth consecutive win. Everyone was going. Again, with the exception of me.

"Hi, Sam." Mike flashed his perfect smile, coming up to me when I arrived at my locker.

"Hi,"

He was wearing his red and gold jersey, his number twelve on the front.

"Did you find it yet?"

"Find what?"

"Look in your locker."

I spun the combination and opened my locker. A piece of paper fluttered out onto the floor.

I picked it up, looking at it suspiciously. I unfolded it, not expecting to see what I saw.

"I couldn't afford to buy you daises, so I drew you one." Mike said, grinning as he watched for my reaction.

"You drew this? For me?" I breathed.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it. Thank you, Mike. You didn't have to do this."

"I wanted to."

It was so beautiful. I ran my fingers over the white petals and the long stem, wishing I could lift it off the paper.

"Thank you," I said again.

"You're welcome. I really like seeing you happy."

A blush creeped onto my cheeks as I placed the drawing in my Algebra II book.

"Are you coming to the game?"

I shook my head, slowly closing my locker.

"Why not?"

"Not my thing."

"Oh, I get it. I kind of hate it too."

"But you play."

"It's hard to be the star sometimes."

"What's the worst part, the entire school loving you or the admiration and attention?"

"Definitely the admiration and attention."

I laughed at how serious he was, how cute he was.

The bell rang and everybody scrambled to class.

"See you in homeroom," He walked off towards Algebra II, a unsettling look on his face.

It was unsettling for me because he almost looked too happy.

I took my time getting homeroom.

While I was walking in, I realized that Mike hadn't asked me out yet. He drew me a flower, but that could of been a friendly gesture.

Has he given up?

As I was going to my seat, I felt someone's eyes on me.

I glimpsed up, and every football player in the class was staring at me. They were all sitting next to each other in the back of the room, silently examining me. Then there was Mike, with that ridiculous look on his face.

I sat down, taking out the picture of the daisy.

The class quieted down as the announcements came on. I put the picture away, setting my head down on my desk.