XLV

-Friday, July 30th 2000-

"What are you coloring, mouse?" A fifteen year old Jeremy asked, sitting next to me at the coffee table.

"Giraffe." I answered gleefully.

"What sounds do giraffes make?"

"They don't make noises." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Smarty pants." Jeremy tickled my stomach, making me break out in hysterical giggles.

"Where are Momma and Daddy? Are they late?" I asked when my laughing died down.

"They'll be here. I think they just got caught in the rain."

Jeremy glimpsed out the windows in front of the house.

I switched my yellow crayon out for a tan one, coloring happily.

The thunder boomed outside, along with the lightning that crackled across the deep blue sky.

"Can I have my chocolate now?" I asked Jeremy.

He promised me half of his Hershey bar if I sat quietly.

"Don't eat all of it at once, okay?" Jeremy warned as he took the candy out of his bookbag.

I nodded.

The house phone rang.

Jeremy got up to answer it, ruffling my hair like I hated.

"Hello?"

I finished shading in one of the giraffe's spots.

"Yeah, this is Jeremy Malone." Jeremy sounded so funny. I couldn't place it.

"They what?" His voice was louder this time.

I kept coloring.

"Yeah...those are their names. Lydia and Jeremiah Malone."

I had to giggle to myself.

Jeremy's real name was Jeremiah, just like my Dad's. That made Jeremy a jr.

"Okay...yes, I c-can do that. Thank y-you."

Jeremy slammed the phone back on the hook and came to sit beside me again.

"Mouse, um, we have to go somewhere special tomorrow." Jeremy told me, his eyes red.

"Where? Are Momma and Daddy coming too?"

"No," He sighed shakily, "Momma and Daddy aren't going anywhere."

"I don't get it." I pouted. I set down my crayon.

"Momma and Daddy won't come home tonight, Mouse."

"Why?" I was ready to cry although I didn't know why.

"They died."

-Present Time-

Under water. That's all I could say about the world. My hearing was destroyed. I wouldn't of answered if I could hear anyway. Nothing was coherent. People were drifting. Anthony, Jeremy, and Noah. They were all drifting in and out of the world.

I didn't know anything. My mind was blank. I willed myself to be alert.

"Who's blood is this?" I heard myself asking, even though I knew all too well.

"You don't remember?" I could read Jeremy's lips.
I shook my head. I didn't want to remember.

"Do you know where we are?" Another question.

"No." I barely heard myself.
Someone who I could almost make out to be Dr. Greene pulled Jeremy aside.

I was not mistaken when I heard the words, "Post traumatic stress disorder."