XII

"Call me if you want me to come pick you up." Jeremy said as he gave me back my phone.

"Okay."

"Do you have your inhaler?"

"Yeah."

"Remember, if you see Anthony, just ignore him."

"Right," I nodded, sighing deeply.

"Are you sure you feel well enough to go?"

"Yes. Can I go now?"

"Please, be careful."

"I will."

~

Thankfully, I didn't have much to make up on Thursday. I made it to my locker without seeing Anthony. I thought I was in the clear, I saw him on the way to homeroom. He knew I was there, but didn't look at me. His expression was cold and unwelcoming. It was nothing like the Anthony I knew. I averted my eyes and went toward the door of my classroom. Surprisingly, Anthony walked up to me and stood in my path, glowering down at me angrily, I took a step back.

I was shaking. He towered over me, just staring. His crystal clear blue eyes blazed with hatred. My breathing became shallow and I took another step back before I had another attack.

"What?" I asked, whispering.

"My mom still hasn't come home." He said lowly.

"Oh,"

"Yeah, that's exactly what I said when she was packing to go God knows where. Oh." He micmicked my voice at the end, rolling his eyes.

"I heard you came by the hospital."

"I wanted to make sure I hadn't killed you, so don't get too excited."

"Oh," I said again.

Anthony gave me another cold stare before walking off to his own class.

I let out a strangled breath and went into homeroom. I made it to my seat just as the bell rang. I folded my arms and set my head on the desk to try to calm down. My breathing was still a little ragged, but I could handle it.

I couldn't believe the boy that I fell in love with treated me so poorly. He looked at me like an insect. When I walked into school that morning, I thought any conversation with Anthony would be better than no conversation. I was wrong.

"Class," My homeroom teacher, Mrs.Miller said, "We will be starting partner tutoring this morning."

My homeroom was Algebra II. I was in no mood to tutor some most likely idiotic upperclassman. Some Seniors were retaking it, mostly the jocks who were too caught up in their sports to do their homework.

"You'll be going over the homework and everything we've covered on quadratic equations."

Mrs.Miller started rambling off the names of the partners.

"And Sam, you'll be tutoring Mike."

Before I could pretend I was sick and had to call Jeremy, Mike pulled up a chair and sat down right next to me.

"Hi," He flashed me a beautiful smile, revealing a set of perfectly straight white teeth

"Hi," I said back.

Mike was breathtaking, almost as much as Anthony. He had caramel skin with dark brown hair and hazel eyes. He had a warm face, I felt like I could talk to him about anything in the world.

"I really don't get this stuff. I don't even know what quadratic means." Mike said.

"Quad means four. Like a square." My voice didn't show how nervous I was, thank goodness.