XXI

"You're so quiet."

Was the first full sentence Noah spoke to me.

I wasn't going to be rude to him, because I barely knew him and I didn't want him to hate me. I had to be nice to him for Jeremy's sake. I never had an issue with him because we never had a full discussion, but I figured Jeremy wouldn't like it if we didn't get along.

"Oh," I murmured, my face flushing, "sorry...I don't mean to be."

"No, it's okay. That's just who you are. I like it."

I considered this, "You like it?"

"Yeah. But I do actually want to talk to you."

Jeremy went to the grocery store when I came home from school on Friday and left Noah to stay with me, although I knew Jeremy wanted him to watch me.

"Why?"

Noah laughed. He laughed at me.

"Why do I want to talk to you? Well, don't you think it'd be a little weird to be in your house with you and not have some sort of conversation?"

I shrugged. Noah was so nice and open, I felt strange around him.

"I didn't mean to scare you." Noah said.

I shook my head, "Don't worry about it."

"I can't get over how much you look like Jeremy." He said lightly, tilting his head.
"What?" Now I was the one laughing, "Jeremy and I look nothing alike."

"You're both blond."

"Yeah..."

"You both have blue eyes."

"That's true,"

"And you both have that really annoying attitude."

"What?"

"Just wanted to make sure you were listening."

"I do have one question, though."

"Which is?"

"Why are you with my brother?"

"The correct question is why wouldn't I be."

That made me smile. Then it made me smile wider because I knew he meant it.

~

I didn't see much of Jeremy that weekend. I wanted to ask him if what was going on with Mike and I was normal, if him and Noah argued about things like missed phone calls.

I couldn't take the wondering and the guessing anymore. I picked up my phone and pressed Mike's number on my speed dial.
I was tempted to hang up as I waited for him to answer.

"Hey," He said quietly, "I thought you weren't talking to me?"

"I'm sorry," I whispered, "I'm really sorry and I don't want us to be like this."

"I don't either...I'm sorry too. You know I love you, I just can't stop worrying about you."

"I get it. It's alright. I'll pick up when you call from now on. Promise."

"Good."

"And you'll pick up when I call. Right?"

"Yeah. I guess."
I was confused, "You guess?"

"Can we stop talking about it before we start fighting again?"

I sighed heavily, "Okay."

"I'll see you tomorrow. I love you."

"I love you too."

We were okay, Mike said he loved me, but we still didn't feel right.