Chapter 1 - A Heavy Heart

Today marks the second anniversary of Laura's death, and even now I am still struggling to find a way forward with my life. Over the years I had always thought money and power were everything, but, I was wrong.

Having Laura in my life, albeit only for two months, was the best two months of my life. Mario, my Uncle and closest advisor, did everything to persuade me out of kidnapping and imprisoning Laura, but, when I saw her at the Airport that day I knew my life was never going to be the same.

My pursuit of Laura meant my relationship with Anna Gattuso, the daughter of the other prominent family on this island, was never going to result in a marital union. I did have some feelings for Anna, but I always held myself back.

When my Father was killed in front of me, I was not only blessed to survive, but it left me as head of my family. I clearly didn't want this, but as my family required a leader, the choice was made for me.

As the head of the family, my life was all about business, and making sure the legacy of my late Father remains in tact. I have done this as successfully as I can, but with a heavy heart.

Laura not only changed my perceptions of life, she made me whole. I wanted to be a better man, and I changed for the better. Right now, I am barely holding on, and while Anna is back in my life, it is under sufferance.

To keep the families amicable, I have put my feelings away. Part of me knows Anna had a hand in killing Laura, and while I can't prove it, I find myself sleeping with the enemy.

Mario and Domenico, my cousin and loyal confidant, both have their suspicions also about Anna's involvement in Laura's death, but they too have come up empty for proof.

Even though Laura is not here, I still feel like she is alive. Part of me will always wonder if that is so, and while I did see her dead body I have never accepted she is truly dead. After two years I should be ready to move on, but until I get closure, this is how my life has to be.
:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:
How quickly two years goes. I find myself happier than I ever imagined I could be. Massimo will never know I was responsible for killing Laura, and now, as I am engrossed in the bosom of his family, I am ready to partake the final stage of my plan.

Massimo has excelled himself as a businessman, and the Torricelli Family is worth more money than mine will ever be. I was more than happy to kill Laura, but now, to exact revenge on Massimo for breaking my heart will be the ultimate for me.

I have everything planned and ready to commence, and I can't wait to execute what I have so longed for, to have the power and control of Sicily.....
:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:
I wake to the sound of my one year old son. I know what today is, and I feel the pain within. Two years ago my life changed in ways I would never imagine, and now, as I sit here overlooking the city do I know what I have to do.

Just over six weeks ago, I received an unexpected visit from Mario. When my accident was orchestrated, Mario was lucky to receive intel of what was coming. As a result, we planned an accident of our own.

We faked my death, but I had to make the man I love believe I had truly died. I was pregnant with our son, and Mario and I agreed for the sake of the family I had to remain dead. Massimo never knew I was pregnant, and for his safety as well as that of myself and our son I have had to keep it that way.

When Mario visited me here in America, I knew something was wrong. He believes Anna is trying to take control of the Torricelli Empire, and that my son and I may be in danger.

I knew this could be a possibility, but never thought it could happen, especially only after two years. Over the last two years I have made something of my life, but with only half of myself.

Massimo has the other half, and until the day I can truly be in his arms forever, I have little choice but to force myself forward. Our beautiful son, Giovanni, or Gio as I call him, is every bit of his father.

Gio has saved me in so many ways, and with that, two Torricelli men have saved my life, twice. Mario has ensured our son will have his own legacy, and I have ensured my own financial security.

With financial assistance from Mario, I built a Hotel and Casino complex here in Las Vegas. It is named The Italia, as it is recognition of Massimo's heritage and my love for him.

The Hotel has some of the wealthiest clients in the world, and, true to the name, Italians are frequent visitors. Due to many of them being aware of who I was and my relationship with Massimo, I have kept a low profile and with Mario's continued help, the Hotel is being utilised for its many wonders and facilities.

Financially this has been a sound investment, and what Massimo doesn't know is he is majority shareholder. Due to Anna posing such a large influence after my accident, Mario and I constructed Management to ensure only he and I know who truly owns this Hotel.

As of last month, the loan I required through Mario from the family has been repaid in full, and while I have ensured our son has a great legacy financially, I wanted to be able to be independent myself in the case of any arising issues, such as now.

For the last two years, people know me as Lorita Graniescu. As much as I wanted to keep my actual name, Laura, I knew that would be a big risk. I haven't wished to endanger Massimo or Gio, and now, as I consider the prospect of returning to Italy, do I understand just what is at stake......