Chapter 16 - More Than Life Itself

Domenico is looking at me with concern, and I am now on my knees. While it was only three words, I realise I must have been dreaming it.

I break down and cry, knowing how much I long for Laura, is making this hurt all the more. I will do anything for my family, but I failed the woman I love more than life itself.

I have felt so powerless, and this situation with Anna is bringing me to the brink - I want to this drama to finish, I need this time to absorb how my future will be without Laura, knowing it is all my fault.....

My cousin is looking at me puzzled, and I get myself up and take a deep breath. Domenico rightly points out we have to ensure everything is ready for Mario and his guests' arrival.....

Within two hours we have security ramped up and all cars are heading to the Airport to collect Mario and the 'extra cargo.' Domenico and I stay back at home, as we need to ensure Anna is not able to catch on to what is happening.....
:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:
Today has been such an emotional mess. Laura and Gio are with me on the plane back to Sicily, and we arrive in good time. As soon as we disembark the plane Marco is waiting along with Massimo's security.

To ensure Laura's safety until we get home, she is wearing her mask. So far nobody has paid any attention, and Gio is being very well behaved, with Laura keeping him close.....

Laura's team keep a watchful eye over her and Gio, and I know now what I have to do. I call Massimo, and he promptly answers the phone. I let him know we are on our way home, and I can hear the pain in his voice. I promise my loyalty is as strong as it has always been, and I hope he will understand what I have done.

He will be awaiting our arrival, if only Massimo knew how relieved I am this is finally happening.....
:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:
Home - a word I never thought I would ever say, but feel. Gio and I are on the way to Massimo's, and while a small part of me is scared for how Massimo will react to seeing me alive, I am more looking forward to him meeting his son.

I know we made Gio out of love, and my little man is being very quiet, just taking in all the sights. He has been my little ray of sunshine, and he has handled this trip much better than I could have ever expected....

As soon as we are passing Mt Etna, I feel a rush through my body. I know why I feel it, and Gio pointing at it makes me smile. My smile quickly fades when we are going through the tunnel. That tunnel, the one which has changed my life.....

Soon enough, we are driving those through familiar vines leading to the place which I have longed to come back to, to come home to.....
:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:
The cars are pulling up, and to my surprise, my men are outnumbered by the extra security. Mario gets out of his car, followed by a woman with a young boy.

I am a little confused, however I ensure I am polite, and walk up to them. The little boy is gorgeous, and he is smiling at me. There is a feeling of familiarity about him, and the moment I see the woman, Mario tells me we need to go inside - it is not the best idea to be talking out here.....

I lead everyone inside, and the woman is looking at the photo of Laura. The little boy holds his arms out to me. I am unsure what is happening right now, but Domenico has a look of recognition on his face.....
:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:
No way.....Mario has just arrived back with a woman and a little boy. He would not be more than one, and as we head inside, the woman stops and stares at that photo of Laura.

I can see tears rolling down her face, and the little boy has his arms out for Massimo. I look at them both, and the resemblance is.....holy shit......

This can't be......Mario quickly says we need to keep moving, and when we enter the secure wing, it occurs to me this woman has as much security as we do. I take a good look at her, then, it dawns on me - she is the same height and frame as.....Laura......
:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:
After such a tumultuous start to the day, we have just arrived back home. Massimo and Domenico are waiting for us, and as we get out of the car both of them look at me confused.

Massimo politely walks up to us and says hello, and everyone walks inside. Laura stops at the sight of her picture, tears rolling down her face. My little nephew is smiling and reaches his arms out for Massimo, but before we can do anything, I mention we should keep moving - there is much to be discussed, and looking at the situation now, I can see this will be a long conversation....
:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:——:
I can't stop crying. No matter how hard I try, my emotions have completely taken over. Gio is happy to be here, and the minute I stop to look at my photo, my little boy puts his arms out for Massimo.

My love doesn't understand what is happening, and Mario ensures we head to the secure wing, as the conversations can't be held out here, for obvious reasons.

The moment we enter the secure wing, and area is locked, Massimo looks to Mario and asks what is going on. They are both arguing in Italian, and as I listen to them Gio starts to cry. He puts his arms out again for Massimo, and this time, he comes to me and takes him from my arms.

Gio instantly calms down, and cuddles up to his father. I am lost for words, and the room goes silent. As soon as we lock eyes, I walk up to my love, and take my mask off in front of him......