Forty-One: We All Fall Down

The line of Mabsuli bloods stretched around the entire Crystal. They weren't soldiers, simply normal citizens. But that made Beomgyu's, San's, and Wooyoung's job harder.

"We can't kill them," Beomgyu told the couple from where they were huddled behind a hunk of brick a few feet away from the initial ring of "guards."

"Of course not," Wooyoung said. "It's just gonna be hard when they're trying to kill us."

"We can try using that to our advantage, though," San said. "Use their desire to burn us alive to drive them away from the Crystal."

"I don't think they'll give up formation that easily."

"Once there's a crack in something, it's easier to tear it apart," Beomgyu said. "Do what you can. I only need a second to cast the spell."

"Be careful," San said, and he darted left. Wooyoung shot him a thumbs-up before darting to the right. Beomgyu let out a tense breath and watched the Mabsuli bloods scan the terrain, ignoring the bitter stench of smoke and clangs coming from behind him. Seulgi had led Yeonjun and Kai into the masses, and he had to trust that they'd be okay.

They'd all be okay.

A sudden tremor rippled through the ground, throwing the Mabsuli bloods off their feet as San launched himself towards them in a flash of pink. Beomgyu itched to pop out of his hiding place and help San as the Mabsuli bloods surged towards him, hands aglow, but he forced himself to stay. San could take care of himself. Besides, he had Wooyoung.

Right on cue, a gust of wind rushed over them, and Beomgyu had to squint as the bodies of the attackers were thrown around, out of formation. He spotted San crouching against the wind, holding his ground with a barrier. He was quick to jump up and pounce on the fallen attackers as the wind gusts continued to come, knocking the Mabsuli bloods down and drawing them away from their stations.

The winds converged either side of him, and Beomgyu wasted no time leaping over the brick and racing towards the Crystal. His eyes narrowed as his feet pounded against the jagged ground, locked onto the towering rock he was quickly approaching. He could feel its power wash over him in waves, feel it grasping at him desperately, trying to regain control.

But he gritted his teeth and shoved it off. He wouldn't let it. He refused to become another puppet.

"My child, what are you doing?"

Beomgyu skidded to a stop, standing in the very same place he was led to by Jimin and Taehyung mere weeks ago. It felt like a lifetime ago when he allowed the Crystal to seep into his blood, his mind, to become one with him. He believed it would protect him.

It only hurt him. It continued to hurt him. It preyed on his fear and confusion, his uncertainty and grief, tying strings around his wrists and making him dance to the Crystal's content. He refused to dance any longer. He refused to let the Crystal in.

He owed it nothing.

"What needs to be done," Beomgyu answered simply, not caring he was currently talking to a rock. He knew it wasn't just a rock. He'd experienced firsthand what it was capable of.

"This won't do Mabsulle any good, my child."

"Yes it will," Beomgyu affirmed with a sharp nod. "It'll do all the kingdoms good."

"How can you be so sure?"

A flash of red appeared around him, and Beomgyu ducked as a series of death spells soared towards him, colliding in a flash of light right above his head. He was being cornered, dull-eyed Mabsuli bloods marching towards him with hands glowing red. Beomgyu put up a barrier as the spells were casted again, the green light flickering vigorously as he struggled to keep it up.