Eighteen: How to Save a Life (pt. 1)

10 years ago...

Soobin never had a rebellious phase. It was a given considering he was training to be king, taught maturity and controlling his emotions at a young age.

The same, however, could not be said for his younger brother. He was the living definition of the word "rebellious," always sneaking around and even sometimes out of the castle to go down to the village even though that was prohibited without permission and a guard.

Rules were never his thing.

This period of rebellion with eight-year-old Beomgyu was the most stressful time of Yoongi's attendant life. Having to teach this wild card rule-breaker magic while making sure he hides that fact was a challenge given his hyperactive attitude and complete disregard for the rules. He was constantly in fear that one day, Beomgyu would carelessly expose himself and, in turn, expose Yoongi himself.

It stressed Queen Choi out just as much, maybe even more considering the very safety and life of her son was hanging in the balance, not to mention the responsibility she felt with Yoongi's life having brought the then teenage half-Mabsuli to Akabri herself. Both boys needed protecting: Beomgyu from the boiling hatred of King Choi and Yoongi from the harsh streets of Demntria. Both boys needed a home, Beomgyu only having her after his father left and Yoongi having been abandoned by his parents who didn't want the trouble of raising a half-Mabsuli child. Queen Choi didn't know if she was capable of raising one half-Mabsuli, much less two, but she knew she had to try. They were just children. Neither had asked for this life, and neither deserved to suffer the consequences.

Of course, there was trouble in the beginning. Between Yoongi's adjustment to castle life and Beomgyu's middle finger to authority, there were many slip-ups and close calls. But as time went on, things became easier, until the only worry on both Queen Choi's and Yoongi's minds was: will Beomgyu accidentally expose himself?

But Beomgyu knew the danger, so while he found it annoying that he couldn't use his magic outside of the practice room or with anyone but Yoongi and occasionally his mother, he complied. He wasn't stupid. He knew he would hurt them both. And he'd rather hurt himself than hurt either of them, two of the people he cared about most in the world.

Beomgyu had a kind heart from the very beginning. Maybe that's why he held ill feelings towards King Choi since the very beginning.

King Choi would call the way he ran the kingdom, "Just the way things are." But to Beomgyu, just because it was normal to raise taxes or execute prisoners or refuse to send castle aid didn't make it right. Couldn't he see the people that were suffering?

"We are royalty. We are not to interfere with the common folk," he would say when Beomgyu brought it up.

Beomgyu and Soobin were told that the law was made to keep them and their entire family safe. But they also knew that it was the hierarchy ideology King Choi had that made him keep the law in effect.

"Law #103: Under no circumstances should common folk be allowed into the castle. Only royalty, staff, and allowed guests may so much as step foot onto the castle grounds."

Laws were rules.

Beomgyu wasn't too good at following rules.

It was during an unauthorized visit to the village (this time with Soobin accompanying him) that he decided to stretch the rules a bit further.

"I have a fun idea," Beomgyu leaned in and said to his brother. Soobin raised an eyebrow from under his cloak, the only thing concealing their identities.