Twelve: Set Precautions

Beomgyu was quick to pull himself together after the incident in Yeonjun's room. Even if all he wanted to do was curl up in bed, grab a pillow, scream, cry, then sleep only to wake up in the morning and scream and cry again, he knew he couldn't. They were on a time crunch. They had a lot more people to go.

Still, he'd be lying if he said he wasn't scared. Yeonjun proved that the spell could cause pain despite Yoongi saying it couldn't. Who else would be affected like that? And would they stay asleep as Yeonjun had? Thousands of questions and scenarios flooded Beomgyu's mind, but he tried his best to keep his feet on the ground and focus on his task. They were only two people in. He couldn't afford to screw up now.

They went to the king and queen next, finding them asleep side-by-side. King Choi's snoring greeted their ears as soon as Yoongi opened the door, and Beomgyu was legitimately concerned that he would choke on his own breath.

He sounds like Al from Toy Story 2 except in this version, Al is a smoker. Maybe that's why the museum only wanted the collection with Woody. They'd only put up with the smell if it was worth it.

They walked over to Queen Choi's side first. At least if they were caught, she wouldn't order them killed. Each half-Mabsuli found himself closing his eyes as they began casting the spell on her, praying that things would go well. They waited an agonizingly long ten seconds.

And it was over.

But they were not about to get too confident. King Choi was next, and if they got caught by him, it'd be game over. This was the only instance where they took their time shuffling over and casting the spell.

This was also the only time where a small part of Beomgyu, as cruel as it may seem, wished that the spell would hurt. A part of him whispered that Yeonjun didn't deserve the pain, but the king... He did. Guilt bubbled in the pit of his stomach at the thought. This was still the man who helped raise him! He grew to love him as a father, and nothing would change those feelings.

Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for King Choi's love for him, and the knowledge hurt more than he would've liked it to.

Nonetheless, the moment passed and it was over. They both booked it out of the room, and when they were safely back in the corridor, they felt as if they could breathe freely.

"At least we got the most dangerous one out the way," Yoongi said in Beomgyu's mind. He sighed and nodded.

"Yeah. I was so scared he was going to wake up. I was fully prepared to just pull a Dumbo and fly out of there."

"Even in these dangerous situations, you still have to make Disney references..." Yoongi said, shaking his head. Beomgyu shrugged.

"Hey, I'll always make Disney references."

"Noted. Let's continue."

And that they did. They sneaked around the entire castle, going into each room and casting the obstructionum spell. With each person that passed, the two grew more comfortable casting the spell. Not that it didn't elicit guilt, but that it wouldn't hurt them. Yoongi ended up being right in the end.

So what the hell happened with Yeonjun...?

Beomgyu couldn't help but dwell on that question lingering in the back of his mind, and he knew for sure that Yoongi was wondering the same thing. Still, their job wasn't finished yet. That was a question for another time.

Doesn't mean it didn't continue to worry him, though.

At one point, the two stopped by the corridor to the guest rooms where the Verdel bloods were staying. They had their suspicions on them and their involvement, but was it right to leave them at the mercy of the unknown Mabsuli blood? They didn't know their motives. What if they were completely innocent and everything was just a coincidence? The guilt then would be worse than the guilt when casting the spell on them.