Twenty-Two: Exposed

"You seem happier this morning," Soobin observed as the Royal Sons and their attendants walked to the dining hall later that morning.

"What makes you say that?" Beomgyu asked, grinning as he skipped along.

"You didn't look like you wanted to murder me when I came to wake you up for one," Yoongi said.

"You're skipping instead of walking," Yeonjun pointed out.

"Not to mention you're smiling like the Cheshire Cat," Seokjin observed.

"Need we say more?" Namjoon asked.

"Nice Alice in Wonderland reference, Jin!" Beomgyu exclaimed, holding his hand out for a high five. See, that was normal for Beomgyu. What wasn't normal was what he said next, "And only if you want to keep going."

"Who are you and what have you done with my brother?" Soobin said. Beomgyu merely giggled as they reached the dining hall doors.

"Morning, Hobi!" he greeted the attendant as he opened the doors for them. Hoseok smiled.

"Morning, Beom!" he said as Beomgyu skipped past. He turned to the others and giggled. "Someone's in a bright mood today."

"No kidding," Yoongi muttered as he walked in after. Sitting down beside Beomgyu, he leaned in close. "There's no way that Mabsuli blood could've casted a spell on you, so that means you're actually happy and that scares me."

"Am I not allowed to be happy?"

"You're Choi Beomgyu. So no."

"That's mean," Beomgyu whined, but the corners of his lips still quirked upwards. Yoongi wouldn't dare say it aloud, but he loved seeing Beomgyu so happy and carefree. It's how he should be living instead of being paranoid and scared all the time.

It made the two older princes happy too. But that happiness was replaced by tension when the Verdel bloods arrived. Their eyes locked onto a specific black-haired attendant, but he wasn't looking in their direction at all. Instead, he busied himself talking to Taehyun as the two took their seats. Soobin and Yeonjun shared a worried look across the table.

Kai had promised he wouldn't say anything, but what if he did?

Breakfast was soon served, the table filled with polite chatter. Beomgyu tried to sneak a few glances at Taehyun, but he was in deep conversation with his sister, so he decided to leave them be.

The truth was, Taehyun did notice Beomgyu looking at him. But he couldn't return those soft-eyed glances. He didn't deserve them. Not after what he agreed to do.

"Tae, you good?" Seulgi asked, placing a hand on his arm.

"Yeah yeah, I'm okay," Taehyun said. Seulgi exhaled.

"It'll be over quick, I promise," she said. "Then we'll finally have justice for our people." Taehyun tried to smile, but it felt like plaster. Why did he have to be so useless? Why couldn't he say no? Warn the Akabi bloods? Why could he only sit there and wait for it to happen?

"It seems our time together is coming to an end," Queen Kang said sadly.

"Has it been a month already?" Queen Choi asked. "Time flies."

"It truly does."

"How did you all enjoy your time here?" King Choi asked.

"It was a very nice experience, Your Majesty," Seulgi said. "We all felt very welcomed."

"That's good." King Choi nodded before turning to his son. "So, Soobin. Have you made a decision?"

Beomgyu and Yeonjun stiffened, glancing between each other before turning to Soobin. His lips were pursed as he stared at his plate. Everyone watched him with wide eyes even though they all knew deep down what he would say. Still, Taehyun kept praying.