Eleven: Taking Precautions

Even if Beomgyu wanted to get at least a little sleep before midnight, he couldn't. The whole time waiting for Yoongi was spent in the small Worship Room, sitting pressed against the wall and biting his nails as millions of scenarios raced through his head.

What if the spell does hurt them? What if someone wakes up and sees us? What if the Verdel bloods interfere? What if King Choi catches us? What if King Choi immediately orders us dead? What if King Choi finds out about Mother? What if he hurts her? What if the spell doesn't work? What if the Mabsuli blood catches us? What if I can't protect Yoongi?

Take it from Beomgyu: if you are about to do something draining and dangerous, don't think about every single thing that could go wrong. It'll only freak you out and raise the chances that you'll trip over your own feet and die because you were too discombobulated to coordinate how your feet work.

He didn't think he was sitting there for very long. It felt like only minutes had passed before he heard Yoongi's voice in his mind.

"Beom, I'm outside your door. You ready?"

About as ready as Judy was when she first started training to be a police officer.

He didn't dare say that to Yoongi, though. Muttering one last prayer to the replica, Beomgyu crawled out into his room and shut the entrance before slowly opening his bedroom door. Yoongi was standing in a black hoodie with the hood pulled up over his hair. He looked over Beomgyu once and his hardened expression softened as he gently pushed him back inside his room and shut the door again.

"Yoongi, wha—?"

"What's bugging you?" Yoongi asked.

"What do you mean?" Beomgyu shrugged, sticking his hands in his pockets. "Nothing's bothering me. I'm cool. Like ice cream. I'm smooth. Like a criminal. Smooth criminal~"

"Okay, so obviously something is bothering you," Yoongi concluded. He held his hand up when Beomgyu opened his mouth to argue further. "And don't even try to deny it. I've known you for years, Beom. I know when you're stressed and worried. So what's wrong?"

Realizing there was no point in denying it, Beomgyu sighed and sat down at the foot of his bed. "I'm scared, Yoongs..." he admitted. "We're only on chapter eleven, and the stakes are already so high. It's like, does the author even know what 'pacing' is?"

Yoongi's brow furrowed. "I can't even pretend like I understood what you just said."

"This is the first time we're performing magic on other people," Beomgyu said. "And if these people catch us—"

"Who said they were going to catch us?"

"There's a possibility."

"A very small possibility."

"It's still a possibility!"

"Beomgyu." Yoongi quickly sat beside him and grabbed his hands. "You can't keep thinking about the worst possible scenarios. It'll distract you and make those scenarios more likely to happen."

"I just don't want anyone to get hurt. Not Soobin, not Yeonjun, not Mother, not you." He heavily sighed and lowered his head. "What if I mess it up? You said it yourself, you're stronger than me."

"You're right. I am." Beomgyu looked at him incredulously.

"Are you trying to comfort me or boost your own ego?" Yoongi shrugged.

"Can't I multitask?"

"Oh my god, you're unbelievable," Beomgyu said, but was laughing as he shook his head. Yoongi smiled at that.