Ten: Planning Precautions

Beomgyu's heart dropped into his stomach. Another Mabsuli blood? In Akabri? In the Royal Family of Akabri's castle?

Well isn't this a dramatic turn of events. Like when Mr. Waternoose turned out to be the bad guy and strapped Boo to the—NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BE MAKING DISNEY REFERENCES, ME! THERE'S ANOTHER FREAKING MABSULI BLOOD IN THE CASTLE!

"Beom." Yoongi shook the prince's shoulder, snapping him out of his racing thoughts. "It's going to be okay," he said reassuringly despite the panic in his own eyes.

"How?!" Beomgyu exclaimed. "There's been another Mabsuli blood in the castle for who knows how long, and they've been messing with us and possibly the Verdel bloods! And to top it all off, we have no idea who it could be!"

"And we won't if we keep panicking like this. You need to calm down, Beom."

"Yoongi..." Beomgyu ran his hands through his hair and sighed. "I can't let Yeonjun get hurt again. I can't let anyone get hurt."

"They won't." Yoongi gripped both of Beomgyu's arms. "We'll make sure of it. We can start by bringing down the Panic Meter a couple of notches, okay?" Beomgyu nodded, closed his eyes, and took a few deep breaths. It went on like that for a couple more moments before Beomgyu heaved one last sigh and opened his eyes. "Better?" Yoongi asked. Beomgyu nodded.

"What are we going to do?" he asked, wringing his hands as worry dripped from his voice.

"Well, if the spell was casted on us, it was casted on everyone else too," Yoongi said in a rush, flipping through the spell book again. "Tonight we need to go around the castle and perform the obstructionum spell on everyone. Then we'll need to cast anti-magic in every doorway to make sure whoever this Mabsuli blood is, they can't cast this spell on us again. Then we'll have some time to look for this person."

Beomgyu blinked rapidly, trying to comprehend everything Yoongi just said using his two uncooperative brain cells. "You lost me at 'tonight,'" he said. Yoongi beckoned him over.

"This is the spell I had you perform on yourself," he said, pointing to a page. "Obstructionum. A counterspell that blocks a spell's influence on the brain. We'll need to cast this on all castle staff and your family."

"But won't it hurt them?" Beomgyu asked.

"The only reason it hurt us was because we're half-Mabsulis and were aware of the spell. Everyone else doesn't know, so it won't hurt them."

Beomgyu exhaled and nodded. "Okay. When are we going to do this?"

"Tonight when everyone is asleep." He placed a hand on Beomgyu's shoulder. "This isn't going to be an easy job, Beom. There are a lot of people in the castle, and we only have half the normal power of a Mabsuli blood. This is going to be draining, but no matter how tired you get, you need to keep going, okay?"

Beomgyu forced a chuckle. "Looks like my training's coming in handy after all." Yoongi grinned.

"Consider this your first real test of strength when it comes to magic."

"Like when Ian had to grow the jerry can so they could get more gas?"

"Um... sure."

"He had to use magic."

"I assumed."

"He kinda sucked."

"There's something you and him have in common."

"Excuse me?!"

~~~~

Dinner that night was a tense one.