Thirty-Five: Explanations and Second Chances

"Kai, please open the door."

"Go away!"

"Hyuka..."

"I said go away!"

Taehyun sighed, leaning his head against the locked doors of Kai's room, listening to his shuddering sobs coming from the other side. He hated that he couldn't do more for him. Hell, he hated that he didn't even know Kai felt this way in the first place! If he had known...

What could he have really done? Kai was his best friend, he could never see him in the way Kai wanted to be seen. And it was obvious that Kai couldn't see him that way either. But with Soobin...

Now it all made sense. Why he was hanging out with him more than Seulgi was. Why he had insisted he was doing it for the mission even though he was showing doubts about it. All to spend more time with Prince Soobin, the boy who Kai fell in love with and made him feel loved.

But it wasn't meant to be, because Soobin loved Yeonjun and Yeonjun loved him.

He still couldn't wrap his mind around that, and he was definitely in shock when Yeonjun revealed their relationship, but it didn't matter to him. Kai got his heart broken, and Taehyun was determined to pick up the pieces.

"Hyuka..." he tried again. "Please let me in. I want to help you." He paused for a moment, and when Kai only continued to sob, he sighed. "I don't know what to do," he admitted. "I can't make your feelings go away or fix your heart. I can't make somebody fall in love with you, and I know you don't want to resort to magic in this situation anyway. I want to be there for you, Hyuka. That's the only thing I can do, and I'm sorry—"

"Why is everyone apologizing?!" Kai cried, cutting Taehyun off. "It's all my fault!"

"No it's not, Kai," Taehyun affirmed. "You can't control who you love. And it's not the end for you. You're an amazing person, Hyuka. You're kind and strong and so fucking adorable it's not even funny. There's someone out there ready to call you theirs. You just have to wait a little longer." His voice softened to barely a whisper as he rested his hand against the door and said, "Until then, I'll be here to hold you."

And he did just that when Kai opened the door and launched himself into his arms.

~~~~

They had walked along the cobblestone paths of the courtyard under arches of bright vines and sat on a bench under the midday sun, and Yeonjun still hadn't said a word. Beomgyu, on the other hand, was still busy trying to comprehend what the fuck he just heard.

So Yeonjun and Soobin...

My half-brother and brother-like figure...

They fell in love...

And kept it a secret because everyone thought they were brothers and they didn't want to Sweet Home Alabama this bitch...

But they also kept it from me...

Then again, I kept the fact I'm half-Mabsuli from them...

But that was for their protection! They could've told me!

Although they probably knew I would overthink it like I am right now...

I want waffles.

Wait, how is that related to anything?

Waffles are really good though...

"Thinking hard over there?" Yeonjun finally spoke. Beomgyu looked up at him.

"Did Soobin ever make you hard?" he asked, completely serious. Yeonjun sputtered and nearly choked on his own saliva.

"What?!" he shrieked.