Five: Royal Family of Verdelnia

The week that passed before the arrival of the Verdel bloods was just like any other. During most of the day, Beomgyu hung out with Soobin and Yeonjun, messing around the castle or chilling in their rooms. Coronation rehearsal had been paused until the blacksmith and woodcutter could remake the Coming of Age Pieces, but in the meantime, Namjoon was making Soobin practice his Kingly Voice™ during the afternoon. Yeonjun and Beomgyu would sit in the hall just outside the throne room, listening to Soobin recite the Oath as Namjoon shouted directions at him.

"I swear, how has Binnie not gone insane?" Yeonjun asked, rubbing his temples. "Just listening to Namjoon out here is giving me a headache."

"Just be glad we don't have to stand in there with a straight face," Beomgyu said. Yeonjun groaned, leaning his head back against the gold doors.

"I am not looking forward to rehearsal starting up again."

"That makes four of us," Yoongi said. The two princes look up to see Yoongi and Seokjin walking down the hall towards them. Seokjin chuckled.

"What are you two doing?"

"Torturing ourselves. Isn't that obvious?" Beomgyu said. Seokjin let out a laugh.

"Why?"

"'Cause we have no brain cells left anyway, so it doesn't matter anymore." Yeonjun scoffed, offended.

"Speak for yourself! I have so many brain cells." Beomgyu turned and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh yeah? How many?"

"Like... a lot."

"Mhm."

Yeonjun punched him in the shoulder, Beomgyu only laughing in response. "Brat," Yeonjun said, but was smiling.

"Project, Soobin!" Namjoon shouted from inside the throne room. Yoongi sighed.

"The only brat here is Namjoon," he said before turning to Seokjin and jabbing his thumb towards the door. "Go control your bratty husband." Seokjin rolled his eyes.

"Like you have room to talk about being bratty," he said, but walked inside anyway. "Joonie!" he called.

Yeonjun shot up. "I have to see this," he said. He turned back as he opened the door, looking down at Beomgyu. "You coming?"

Beomgyu smiled. "Nah. Fill me in later." Yeonjun shrugged.

"Your fault if you're missing out on some hot tea." He walked into the room, and once the door slammed shut, Beomgyu stood.

"What's wrong?" he asked Yoongi. He sighed.

"Come on." He turned and started walking down the corridor. Beomgyu frowned and walked after him, a pit forming in his stomach. He knew where they were going. The question was: why was Yoongi looking so anxious?

Down in the practice room, Yoongi sat with his back against the mirror. Beomgyu slid down next to him, bringing his knees to his chest as he glanced at Yoongi, who was staring ahead as he bit his lip. "Yoongs?" Beomgyu asked softly. "Is everything okay?"

Yoongi sighed again. "I don't mean to scare you, Beom," he started, "but you know the Verdel bloods are arriving tomorrow."

"Yeah?"

"There's going to be more eyes in the castle than usual."

The thought made Beomgyu's stomach churn, but only slightly. He'd dealt with this before with all the other princesses. He voiced this out loud to Yoongi, and he sighed again in response.

"I know that," he said. "It's just—" He cut himself off with a grimace, hands curling into fists.

"Yoongi?"