Nineteen: How to Save a Life (pt. 2)

"We've patched him up the best we could," a nurse reported. "All we can do now is let him rest."

"How long will that be?" Beomgyu asked.

"We're not sure. He was injured quite badly. Must have been attacked by a wild animal in the forest."

"What about his blood? Have you checked?" Soobin asked. The nurse nodded.

"He's an Akabi blood, but we can't find him in the citizen records. Must be a runaway orphan from another kingdom."

"Thank you. Please let us know immediately when he wakes up." The nurse nodded and walked back into the clinic. Soobin sighed and slid down the wall opposite of the clinic until he was sat on the floor. "There you go," he said to Beomgyu. "At least Father can't kill us for bringing a Mabsuli blood into the castle."

"Yeah, but he's still gonna kill us for bringing him here period," Beomgyu scoffed, sitting down beside him. They watched the clinic doors in silence for a moment before Beomgyu asked, "What do you think happened to him?"

"Who knows," Soobin sighed. "Maybe he came from an abusive orphanage. Or an abusive home. Either way, we aren't gonna know for sure till he wakes up. Best not to speculate." Beomgyu simply pursed his lips in response, nodding.

The two fell into another somber silence, staring at the clinic doors and silently willing for them to open with a nurse saying the boy was awake. Beomgyu laid his head on Soobin's shoulder, Soobin leaning his head on Beomgyu's in response. They began to lightly doze off, and it wasn't until hour three of sitting on the hard ass floor that their wish was finally granted and the boy was awake.

He was sat up in a cot, brown eyes wide and scared as he looked around. He was all patched up, cuts smeared in ointments and arm wrapped tightly in bandages. When the two princes entered, he timidly shuffled back, holding the covers up to his chin like a shield. "Hey hey, it's okay," Soobin was quick to soothe with a soft smile. "We aren't gonna hurt you."

"Yeah. We're the ones who brought you here," Beomgyu added. "Well it was mostly me." Soobin smacked his arm, and the boy let out a shy giggle.

"Ignore Beomgyu, he's stupid." Soobin ignored his brother's offended expression and said, "I'm Choi Soobin. What's your name?"

"My... my name..." The boy frowned deeply.

"Do you not remember?" Soobin asked. His voice was calm, but his wide eyes gave away his shock.

"Amnesia?" Beomgyu asked one of the nurses. She nodded.

"Looks like it."

Soobin whipped around to fix a stern gaze on her. "You're the nurse! What are we supposed to—?!"

"Yeonjun..."

"What?" Everyone turned back to the boy.

"Yeonjun," he repeated, lowering the blanket. "My name... Yeonjun..."

"Surname?" Beomgyu asked. Yeonjun shook his head.

"Can't remember."

"That's okay," Soobin said with a smile. "We'll help you. Do you know where you came from?"

"No... I don't even know where I am."

"You're in Akabri. In the castle. Beomgyu and I found you in the forest." Yeonjun's frown deepened, and Soobin only grew more worried. "Do you not remember?"