5

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: Lights Up by Harry Styles ────────────⚪️──────────────────◄◄▐▐ ►►⠀⠀ 1:00 / 2:51

"all the lights couldn't put out the dark running through my heart..."
•••

Instagram Story by @emersonaldridge

•••

I am woken up with the sun in my eyes and Frank huffing and whining, letting me know he needs to go outside. It is around 7:45 am, and Malibu is very quiet as I let him out into my small backyard.

As I walk back into the house, I remember that Harry is in my guest room and I am filled with giddiness. I need a friend like him—intentional, considerate, kind, and humble. People like Harry Styles are rare. It feels like I've known him for years, not just days, and I want to believe that means something.

While Frank is still outside sniffing around my little yard, I decide to make coffee for Harry and myself. After turning on my espresso machine and pouring the grounds into it, I froth oat milk and pop it into the microwave for 30 seconds. Then I pull out two glasses, drizzle caramel around them, and put a handful of ice in them. As I finish the drinks, Harry walks out of the guest room, hair disheveled and eyes swollen from sleep.

"Good Morning!" I say cheerily as he sits down at the island and smiles lazily at me. I feel my heart involuntarily jump at the sight of him sitting in my kitchen. So effortlessly handsome it hurts.

"Stop it, Emerson," I think to myself.

"Morning, Emerson," Harry rubs his eyes and runs a hand through his hair, "Is that for me?"

"Yes, it is, just how you like it," I slide the cup of coffee across the counter to him and take a sip of my own.

"Might have to sleepover more often if this is the greeting I get," He rasps, eyes light and lips pulling into a smirk, "Thank you for making this. It's just what I needed."

"You're welcome! How did you sleep?" I ask him as I start to pull out the ingredients for our breakfast.

"I slept good, was up for a bit writing though," My eyebrows shoot up in surprise at his answer.

"Writing?"

"You gave me an excellent idea for a song yesterday," He responds, " I haven't been that inspired in a long time. I think it's gonna be a good one."

"Don't give me credit, I just asked you a couple questions," I deflect as I chopped strawberries. He rolled his eyes at me.

"Don't do that; you were my inspiration. None of the writing I did would have happened without your questions." I look up at him from the mango I had moved onto, his eyes were soft, and his ring clad hands grip his cup of coffee.