11

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: In the Blood by John Mayer ────────────⚪️──────────────────◄◄▐▐ ►►⠀⠀ 1:45/ 4:04

"how much of my mother has my mother left in me? how much of my love will be insane to some degree? what about this feeling that i'm never good enough?"

•••

new Instagram post by @emersonaldridge

liked by: harrystyles, mitchrowland, chelseaflint, and 400 others

@emersonaldridge: happy birthday to my jellybean! her being five makes me feel just a tad older. i love you lila girl!

@scarlettaldridge: my babies! i love u! the best aunt!
———@emersonaldridge: love u

@harrystyles: i think you're supposed to hold children upright
———@emersonaldridge: haha laugh funny :|

view 5 more comments

•••

It takes less than 5 seconds for Lila to come crashing into my arms when I walk through the door of her house. I almost drop her gift as her 5-year-old body runs into mine.

"Aunt Emmy!! You're here!" She says excitedly, "Did you know I'm this many today?" Lila holds up 5 fingers proudly and grins at me with her gap-toothed smile. Her blonde hair is unruly as usual and she wears a white dress dotted with rust-colored stars and a sweater and socks of the same color. Her favorite white sneakers dig into my back, as her legs wrap tight around my waist.

"I did know that you're 5 today!" I exclaim, leaning back so I can see her face, "You sure look older! All grown up!"

"No, I'm still a kid! But a big kid!" She tells me matter of factly, a twinkle in her blue eyes.

"Big is right, you're getting so heavy, princess" I put her down, and she grabs my hand immediately.

"Come see the cake Mommy made!" She turns, tugging me along with her into the kitchen. Scarlett stands, an amused look on her face, at the kitchen sink in a white sundress.

"Hi Scar," I laugh as the 5-year-old force of nature runs us through the house. We come to a stop in front of the marble counter where a white cake with rainbow spots all over it sits.

"It's so pretty, Lila girl!" I say, looking down at my niece, "What flavor is it?"

"Rainbow flavor!" She giggles, and I hoist her up onto the counter, "Where's Harry?"