10

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: Canyon Moon by Harry Styles ────────────⚪️──────────────────◄◄▐▐ ►►⠀⠀ 1:00/ 3:08

"quick pause in conversation, she plays songs i've never heard, an old lovers hippie music pretends not to know the words..."

•••
close friends instagram story by @harrystyles

•••close friends instagram story by @harrystyles

•••

"Staring at the ceiling, two weeks and I'll be home, carry the feeling, through Paris all through Rome and I'm still thinking back to the time under the Canyon Moon," I sing into the microphone, trying to avoid Emerson's steady gaze. I am on my third take with this particular line, and something is just off. I smack my hand against the wall, frustrated with myself.

Mitch and Kid sit at the soundboard, listening to the recording, both of their eyes closed.

"It's not the vocals, Harry. There's just something missing," Mitch says, and I groan.

"Will you play it through the loudspeakers? I need to hear it," I mutter, walking away from the microphone. Emerson shoots me a reassuring smile and my heart thumps harder in my chest. I sit down on the couch next to her and she pats my knee.

"You're doing great H, stop being so harsh with yourself," She murmurs into my ear, then presses a light peck onto my shoulder.

The song starts to play over the speaker, Mitch's guitar filling the room, along with my voice. At the second verse, I close my eyes to listen, trying to figure out what's missing. Kid pauses it, and I looked back towards him and Mitch.

"We could add a hand drum at that part?" He suggests, "Like in Light's Up? That added a lot to the song." I shake my head. I don't want a drum to become a dominating factor in this particular song.

"Play the second verse again, please."

The verse restarts, and as it does I hear a repetitive beat coming from next to me. Emerson is tapping lightly on her leg with the palm of her hand, lost in the music, paying no mind to my anxiety over the song. Her eyes are closed and she is swaying slightly. The beat she drums out sparks an idea in my head.

"Kid, stop the music. I want to try something."

I walk over to the microphone, Emerson's inquisitive eyes following me. Kid gives me the go-ahead and as the music played into my headphones, I clap the exact beat Emerson was tapping into her leg. I can see her cheeks turn red from across the studio, and I wink, silently praying that this will sound as good as I think it will.

"I think that was it, H" Mitch says, as I finish the take, "We should put that throughout the song, not just in that verse."

"I agree," Kid say, "We could add some whistling throughout as well, I think that would add well to the vibe of the song."