21

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: Tomorrow by Shakey Graves ───────────────⚪─────────── ◄◄⠀▐▐ ⠀►►⠀⠀ ⠀ 2:00/ 4:01

"well i'm tired of losing, i used to win every night of the week..."

•••

Yellow and blue are the two most distinct colors in my line of sight. The wind sends a breeze through my hair and the sweet smell of sunflowers through my nose. I sigh and try to savor the feeling and push all of my worries out of my head—a virtually impossible task.

Laying here in the sunflower field, my sunflower field it's quiet, peaceful even. I've done this every day for the past two weeks. Trying to find some semblance of peace in the chaos that is my life. I think back on the events directly after I read the letter that altered the course of my life forever.

"Emerson, talk to me," Harry says, as I pack my things back into my bag, rushing to get out of the house as quickly as possible, "What the hell happened,"

I gesture to the letter that is still laying on my bed, and he takes the hint and picks it up. I turn my back on him and continue packing. It's quiet as he reads, only the rustling of my clothes as I fold and the sounds of paper crinkling under his fingers.

"Do you need help packing?" He asks softly after a minute, and I turn back around to him, fire in my eyes and meet his that are full of sorrow, "I don't know how to comfort you, what to say, but I can help. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it,"

"We need a hotel for tonight. I can't be here," I manage to say, as I zip up my suitcase. Harry pulls it off of the chair for me and stands it up.

"I'll call someone," He leans in to kiss my cheek, and I flinch away. The look on his face instantly makes me feel like the worst person in the world, but I know myself and know I can't handle physical affection at this moment.

"I'm gonna pack, then I will call. Just give me a minute," He mutters, and I sit down with my head in my hands, waiting for him to finish so we could get the hell out of my childhood home.

We left immediately after that, without a word to my family. I didn't know what to say to them. It would be impossible for me to look my sister in the eyes and not spill what I had been told. I couldn't tell her yet, not when I hadn't processed this news myself. News that only pertained to me.

After a fitful and awkward night at a hotel in Charleston, we took a car service to the funeral and got in without being noticed. Harry sat in the back with me, and we left quickly, so I wouldn't have to interact with anyone. I received several texts from my family over the course of that day, but I didn't respond to any of them.

Scarlett

Where are you, baby sister?
Is everything okay? I'm worried.

I know this is a hard week for you,
I just wish you would allow us to be
there for you and not disappear.

George

You good? You disappeared.

Dad is really worried. Said you
got a letter from Blair. Was it
just about the estate? The lawyer
is at our house right now.

Daddy

What's going on peanut?
Please call me back.