Chapter I || Like a thief

Jasmine's P.O.V

Come on! You can do it!

For God's sake, just kiss the girl. I swear I'll jump into the book and kill this moron if he doesn't kiss her right now.

Come on!

Come on!

Come on!

"Why do you look like you just came back from watching fifty shades of grey?"

THUD - I quickly shut down my laptop as I heard my sister Kristy enter the room.

"Wait, are you watching it right now?" she asked, grabbing the laptop I was holding. Fortunately, I was stronger than she was. I put my laptop down and invested my attention to the irritated youngster in front of me. I flashed my best smile, but it merely deepened her frown.

"You know, for a 15-year-old, you sure know an awful lot of stuff you shouldn't." I said, but she just looked at me as if she had no idea what I was talking about.

"Hmm, on the contrary, for a 22-year-old, you do considerably less than you should."

"Oh really! And exactly what is a 22-year-old supposed to be doing?"

"For starters, you could break up with your stupid fiancé." First and first, you're too young to marry, and it's revolting that you agreed to marry someone like him. I mean, what do you see in him?" She answered, her face wrinkled in distaste as she remembered Anthony.

"I agree with Kristen. Your taste in men truly unsatisfactory" Scarlett said as she approached us with a wide grin on her face.

I groaned and shook my head, knowing exactly where this talk was going. But this time would be different since I would find myself dealing with not one, but two hotheads.

"You really need to stop acting like a thief when you come in here. Someday, I might genuinely whack you with a pot. And don't expect me to cover your medical bills or funeral expenses if that happens." I advised wishing to shift the subject.

But when it comes to Scarlett West, one could give up all hope.

"Nice try, but we both knew that was not going to work. Now, if you'd quit attempting change the topic, we can return to your awful taste in men, or rather in one specific man."

I have never had relationships with anyone before, or actually I was forbidden to. My parents were very conventional. They were disappointed when both of their children were girls. So what better way to express their displeasure than to exert total control over their daughter's life? Growing up, I had no one who'd speak up for me, and when I attempted to stand up for myself, let's just say it wasn't pleasant. All my parents cared for was their respect and family honor. Kristen and my grandfather were the only people in my family who genuinely cared about me. Kristen was too young to understand what was going on, and my grandfather just wasn't aware of what his daughter was up to. I would attempt to tell my grandfather about how matters were at home, but my mother would simply threaten to never allow me to see him again. So I did what any child would do and followed their rules.

That is, until they tried to do the same to my sister. That night changed my perception of the world and how unjust it was. I escaped their clutches after I watched my mother attempting to harm my sister as she had damaged our mother's newly purchased glass vase. I was unable to stand by and watch her assault a child over something ridiculous. It was nearly as if every ounce of compassion in her had vanished, regardless of whether she had any to begin with. And, as usual, my papa sat there, did nothing and watched the scene, his face expressionless as ever. So I came to understand that if not for me, ultimately for my sister, things had to change. I stood up to my mother not for myself or my sister, but to prove to her that being a girl is not some sort of curse.