Chapter III || If you say so

Jasmine's P.O.V

We drove through the eerie calm night. 

There was no one around just our car. Scarlett was back to mumbling about rainbow baby poops. Someday this girl is either going to have me arrested or even worse dead in the middle of nowhere.

We were almost home when I noticed a stranded car parked on the side of the road. I should have kept going, but I decided to check it out in case someone required help.

I parked my car and walked towards the other one. It was a really expensive car, for sure. I went up and knocked on the window as I couldn't see anything from outside. The door unlocked and my subconscious was yelling at me to run back to my car in case its some sick pervert or even worse a serial killer.

The door opened an old lady around 60 to 70 years of age got down the car, looking exhausted. When she saw me, her face instantly curled up into a sweet and warm smile. I returned the gesture and asked, "Are you okay? I was passing by, and I saw your car parked here. I thought you might need some help."

Relief flashed over her features. Without wavering her smile, she continued "Yes my dear I'm fine. My car broke down. My driver said he'd bring a mechanic, but it's been three hours since he had gone. I thought of calling my grandson, but my phone had run out of charge. It'd be really nice of you to lend me your phone so that I can quickly call my grandson to  come pick me up."

I looked down at my phone and saw that it had run out of battery as well.

"My phone doesn't have charge either. My friend might have her phone, but I don't know think hers would be have battery either. How about I drop you instead?" I asked, hoping to help the poor lady in some way.

"You already look tired, my dear. I don't want to impose on you." she said worriedly.

"Oh, please, I insist. I can't let you stay out in the cold like this. I would be more than happy to help." I said, giving her my best smile.

She speculated about it for a moment probably trying to decide whether I was some serial killer who preyed on old ladies. When she decided I was not, she nodded her head and walked with me to my car.

She got into the passenger seat and put on the seat belt. She looked back towards an overly drunk Scarlett who by the way now was murmuring about being the first U.S. female president. I couldn't help but chuckle at Scarlett's behaviour.

"She's my friend. We were at a party, and she had too much to drink." I said to the confused looking lady.

"You don't seem like you are drunk, my dear." she said as I started the car.

"No, I don't drink. I wouldn't be driving otherwise."

"It's surprising to see a fine young lady such as yourself not drinking." She said with amusement in her voice.

"Drinking can take away my problems until the alcohol wears off, but eventually, I would have to face them again. If that isn't enough, it might as well add more problems than the ones that I already have." I explained as I started to drive through the night."You haven't told me where you live?"

"Brentwood my dear."

I nodded my head and drove towards the freeway.

The car was silent except for Scarlett's mumblings of course. I was reminiscing about today's events. Right from my conversation with Kristen and Scarlett to almost being raped. In the middle of all that the image of those sapphire orbs brought some sort of harmony in me. Wait What?! Are you insane, Jaz? You are freaking engaged to someone and about to get married in a month and your drooling over some other guy—shame on you Jaz.

"I see you're thinking about a special someone."The old lady said, looking at me with a teasing expression.

"Not really. It's just that my fiancè told me to call him once I reach home. He must be worried sick."I lied. The last thing I need is for someone else to know that I'm thinking about another guy when I have a fiancè who loves me.

"Fiancè? You look too young to get married my dear. How old are you?"

"I'm 22. Yes, I know it is relatively early to get married at this age, but I would be marrying someday. I just had to find the right guy. And now that I did I see no point in waiting. My fiancè really loves me and postponing the marriage would only be a waste of time." I explained.

"But do you love him?" she asked. I knew the answer to this question was not right, but I can't tell her that.

"Pardon me?"

"My dear you said he loved you but never told me that you loved him. Do you love him?" she asked again.

"Of course I do I wouldn't be marrying him if I didn't." I lied just like I did to everyone. I looked straight ahead at the empty road in front of me, devoid of any sort of emotion.

"If you say so."

I could tell that she caught my lie. But I was thankful that she didn't push further.

We drove past huge mansions as she told me to turn right. Then she asked me to stop in front of the mansion with massive gates like in maze runner. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating.

A guy wearing a black uniform came running towards my car. When he saw the old lady, his eyes widened, and he quickly opened the gates. I guess she was super-rich or something.

As the gates opened, I drove inside to be met with the view of A large mansion. My eyes widened at the beautiful exterior. I could only imagine how amazing it would be on the inside.

I stopped my car at the lobby and turned towards the old lady. She looked relieved to be home. She smiled at me.

"Thank you, dear. If it weren't for you, I would have been stuck there for a long time. Do you want to come inside for a cup of tea, maybe?" she asked me.

"I would love to, but it's already late, and I need to take my friend back home, and my fiancè must be worried so I should be heading back." I said as I looked at the time. It was quarter past one. How did it get so late?

"Okay then if you say so. Thank you, dear, once again for your help."

"It's my pleasure." I said as she got down from the car at went inside.

I drove back and reached home at 1:40 A.M. I had a hard time dragging Scarlett to my apartment. I placed her on the bed in my guest room and went to check on Kristen. Kristen was fast asleep with the T.V. on playing 365 days. I shook my head at my sister in amusement and turned it off. Kristen was a heavy sleeper, you couldn't wake her up even if the world were going to end. I made her stand up and put her arm over my shoulder and took her to her room. As soon as she fell on the bed, she hugged her teddy bear tight and started to snore lightly.

I went back to my room changed into something more comfortable and laid on my bed.

As soon as I did, I realised how tired I was.

I closed my eyes as I was engulfed by the same sapphire orbs once again in my dreams.

Total no of words: 1,303