Chapter VII || Is it that obvious?

Jasmine's P.O.V

"I'm back."

After my not so pleasant recent encounter, I called up Kristen and asked her where they were. She told me that they were at the McDonalds inside the airport. I located my way to where it was and found them munching down their burgers.

"Took you long enough." Scarlett sassed as she took a bite off her big mac.

"Hey in my defense, I have a pretty good reason for coming back late." I reasoned as I sat next to Vivian.

"Oh please enlighten me, I seem to be failing to understand what took you so long in the washroom. You took nearly twenty minutes."

"I was late held up by this guy-"

"In the washroom? I can only imagine the things you would have done." Scarlett winked at me with mischief in her tone.

"What? No, of course not. Just so you know I met him outside the washroom. He was an asshole. He collided into me and had the nerve to reprimand me for his mistake. I just took my time to show him his place. Just because he was rich doesn't mean he can do whatever he desires." I explained.

"In that case, I'm proud of you. No one should get away messing with my friends." Scarlett praised as she looked at me proudly.

Vivian stayed awfully quiet while she gazed at her burger like suddenly it was the most captivating thing. She seemed so lost in thought like she had zoned out. Something had happened to her for sure. I decided to talk to her about what was bothering her.

Once we were done with our lunch, I stood up and said " I'm going to go back to the car and start loading Viv's luggage. Are you guys done?"

"Nope, I'm actually planning on buying a smoothie or something. Kristen also said she wanted to check out that store nearby. So you go ahead and since it looks like Vivian is done take her with you." Scarlett gave me a knowing look as she ushered Vivian to join me.

Of course, Scarlett knew something was wrong with Viv, but she had the patience of a sugar rushed monkey, so keeping up with an emotional talk was not her thing.

It sometimes worries me that if Scarlett keeps bottling up her feelings, she might explode someday. But no matter how hard me and Vivian try to make her talk about it, she just says she's okay. However, we know behind that happy and confident facade of hers she was hurting really bad. And if a skilled psychologist like Vivian couldn't get her to open up, I don't know who will.

"Yeah Viv, I think I might need an extra hand anyway." I prompted. When she didn't reply, I slightly nudged her shoulder to get her attention.

"Sorry did you say something?" she asked as if she was brought out of a trance.

"I asked whether you wanted to come help load the luggage into the car while Kristy and Scar check out some shop nearby."

"Yeah sure why not?" she smiled as she stood up.

"Okay then you two call us when you're done, and we'll meet you near the exit."

"Okay!" Kristen replied as she dragged Scarlett out.

"Come on Viv, let's go."

We were walking to the car when I dragged "So are planning on telling me what's bothering you or..." as I looked at her sharply.

She took a sharp intake of breath before she queried "Is it that obvious?"

"Just a little though Scarlett seemed to notice too. Now tell me. I can see that something happened after you called me."

She stopped near a bench and sat down. I followed and sat next to her. She sighed before looking back at me with a pained expression. I felt my heart squeeze seeing my friend in such a vulnerable state.

"I...I saw him Jas." she stuttered as tears started to gather in her eyes.

"Saw who?" I questioned puzzled.

"Him...The guy who ruined me years ago. Who still manages to torment me through my dreams...Who despite everything still continues to have an effect me. He...he just stood there in all his glory like...like nothing had happened between us...like he never caused me any pain or broke me. The moment I saw him, everything came back to me Jas - the memories I tried to bury deep down came crashing down on me all at once. I couldn't handle it. It was like the agonizing pain took over me. I still can't take it. I thought I became stronger. I thought I'll never be that weak again. But the moment my eyes fell on his I was back to that vulnerable girl I was seven years ago. I became fragile again. I know I promised you and Scarlett that I would not become susceptible like I was, but I just couldn't help it. I'm sorry..." she sobbed onto my shoulder as I held her while she cried.

By this time I was crying too. Oh, my poor Viv. How could I have been so oblivious of how she was hurting.

"No, you don't need to apologize. I should be the one saying sorry. I should have known that's why you were upset in the restaurant and angry when we found you. I should have known Viv. I'm sorry you had to see that jerk again. You are strong. Never for even one second think you are weak. After the things he did to you, I watched you recover into the marvellous person you are today. So don't tell me you're broken. You never were. You have scars, Viv. Scars that will stay with you forever. These scars are not ugly; they just show how long you've come across to be successful and happy. Don't let him or the past take that away from you. Don't let it affect you're future." I cried.

Vivian was one of the strongest people I have come across. After what she had been through, we slowly watched her recover from her past. She did take some wrong choices in between, but she ultimately did come out of it. She gave me, and Scarlett hopes to come out of our sorrows. She didn't let us fall into the darkness even though she nearly did.

"You're right; he doesn't deserve me or my tears. I can't keep letting him manipulate my life even though he isn't a part of it anymore. I have to let go." she nodded more to herself as she wiped her tears.

Although she told me she'll let go; I know she won't. She never has, and she never will.

I didn't want to push further right now. We will talk about this again, but for now, I needed to cheer her up.

"You know if you aren't feeling tired we could go to the arcade and maybe watch a movie or two like we used to." I offered.

Her smile came back up as she exclaimed: "I'm never too tired to go to the arcade."

I chuckled as I felt relieved that my plan had worked.

"Okay then we should get going. I'll call up Scar to tell them to come to the entrance." I said as we walked to the car and started placing the luggage inside.

"Speaking of Scar. I heard she forced you to go to a party yesterday. Mind telling me what kind of crazy things happened this time?" she snarked.

"You have no idea."

Total no of words: 1260