Chapter XXI || I won't let you die

>>> Hope you like this chapter<<<

Jasmine's P.O.V.

Wow, I never knew that carpet flooring could be so fascinating.

After Nate asked me to dance with him, he just dragged me to the centre of the dance floor without waiting for my reply. Well, what can I expect from the world's classified asshole?

Right now, I was looking at the very astonishing flooring, which just seems to have my complete attention today. I could sense Nate's burning stare but didn't dare lookup. Also, our close proximity was clouding my sense of judgement. My heartbeat was irregular, and there were goddamn butterflies in my stomach. Is that even normal? I just need to get through this dance, and then I'll be fine.

"Ms Winters, it would be better if you would refrain from mentally having sex with my flooring." his calm deep voice suggested.

I looked up and instantly regretted looking into his sapphire orbs. Damn you, flooring; you just had to be his.

"You own this hotel?"

"Yes I do."

Of course, he does, along with half of New York probably.

"Why do you call me Ms Winters?" I asked.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to be called by my maiden name, but I just want to understand why he does it.

"To the outside world, you may be a Valencian, but to me you will always be a Winters." The way he said Winters sent a chill down my spine. Not in a good way, though.

He looked calm and composed, but his eyes held a different story. He was angry. I could make that out, but I think that it also held hatred.

For me? For my family? I wasn't really sure.

I decided not to push further because even though I hate the guy, I respect his boundaries.

"Why were you crying earlier?"

Clearly, he doesn't know how to respect my boundaries.

"I was sad cause they didn't have ice cream in the buffet." I mentally cringed at my own lie.

I told you I couldn't lie to save my life.

But to be honest, that did make me a little sad. But then again, I didn't get to eat anything.

He raised an eyebrow and looked at me with a glint of amusement.

"I didn't know that you loved ice creams enough to cause an anxiety attack." he smirked.

Shit, he knew the whole time. Chase must have told him. I just had to go and tell such an awful lie, making me look like an idiot.

It's astounding how amazing I am at embarrassing myself.

I changed the topic by asking: "Why are you dancing with me? Aren't there some other people to who'd keep you better company?"

"You are my wife. Why should I dance and keep company with anyone but you?"

I tried to ignore the butterflies going crazy in my stomach when he said I was his wife, but I'm sure my face lit up like a tomato. What is wrong with me?

"I didn't seem like that when you were dancing with my cousin." I retorted, trying to hide the bitterness in my voice. Tried––being the keyword.

When I mentioned Sophia, his composure darkened, and I could feel intense anger radiate from him. But when he looked into my eyes, he relaxed a bit and smirked.