Chapter XX || Possession

Jasmine's P.O.V

The wedding went by in a flash.

I didn't concentrate much when we exchanged our vows or when the priest pronounced us husband and wife. But when the priest said you may kiss the bride, I gave the priest my fiercest glare which made him quite scared frankly. However, my dear husband seemed unaffected by it all. So when he stepped towards me, I took a step back. Seeing my reaction, I expected him to back off, but instead, he grabbed my waist and pulled me closer and kissed me on the cheek. My heart was pounding so loudly I bet everyone here heard it. He only pulled away after whispering: "I'm glad the feeling is mutual, Ms Winters. I wouldn't want to touch, let alone kiss someone like you."

So right now, I'm at my reception with my husband's arm tightly wrapped around my waist.

How romantic?

Except, his hold on me is anything but romantic. It's a warning to tell me not to try anything stupid and ruin his oh so good reputation.

I tried pulling his arm off me, but his hold would get tighter each time I pulled. This is definitely going to leave a bruise.

A lot of people greeted Nate and wished us luck. I tried to look around for a familiar face, but I didn't know anyone. Being bored out of my mind, I just hoped that the asshole would leave me so that maybe I could go and find refreshments. I haven't had anything since morning, and the buffet looks mouth-watering.

I kept gazing at the buffet and cursing the asshole under my breath when I felt the grip on my waist get loose. I looked up to see Nate looking at me with an unreadable expression. He nodded at the buffet and said: "Go, get something to eat."

Well, I didn't need to be told twice. I practically sprinted to the buffet table, and how I managed to not fall in this dress is beyond my understanding.

I picked up my food and looked around for a place to eat. But what- or more specifically, who I saw made me lose my appetite completely. If there is someone I hate more than my mother, then it is her. She approached me with a sarcastic smile. I placed the plate I was holding and kept telling myself not to be weak in front of her again.

"Ah, I knew I would find you here, Cousin." she spoke with that sarcastic smile still engraved on her face.

"What are you doing here Sophia?" I asked, not bothering to hide the bitterness in my voice.

"Oh well, you didn't invite me but someone else did." she remarked.

Of course, my mother would invite the one person I hate so much to my wedding without my permission.

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe you weren't invited because I didn't want you here?"

"You think your mother invited me, don't you? Sorry to break it to you sweetheart but your husband was the one who invited me."

"Wha...What?" I asked, shocked.

Nathaniel invited her? But why? How does he even know her?

"Jas, let me tell you something. You would have been wondering why you were the one the Valencians wanted? Out of all the other women in the world why you? Let me tell you why."

"What on earth are you talking about Sophia?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. You want to know why they want someone as useless as you."

She's right! I do want to know why I was the one that was unlucky enough to get married to Nathanial Valencian.

"You want to know what's so special about you that they chose you. But the answer is nothing. Nothing is special about you, Jasmine. You are and will always be a disgrace to the Winters name. I mean, just look at you, even in such a beautiful dress, you look like trash. Because that's what you are- nothing but trash. So why did someone as hot and rich like Nate marry you? Because you are the substitute. I was the one he came to first. He wanted me. He wanted me to be his wife and me to carry his heir—someone who is worthy of being his child's mother. But then I refused. Why I refused is for me to know and you to find out. You are nowhere near me, but we needed a substitute. All Nate required was a Winters woman to give birth to his heir. You would do just that. Once the baby is born, he will take it away from you and throw you out like the garbage you are."