III; pause

| YEAR 3; CHAPTER TWO |BRIEF PAUSES AND DAUNTING REVELATIONS

BRIEF PAUSES AND DAUNTING REVELATIONS

     𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸 was not as joyful as he was hoping for. While the dark clouds dispersed quite a bit from the evening before, there was still a dreary atmosphere spreading throughout the castle.

Now, everyone was outside, the sun filtering in through the leaves. It was a surprise to everyone that Hagrid was their new Care teacher. Though, it really shouldn't have been all too much of a shock that Dumbledore would have done it.

Hagrid was nice enough. While Edwyn didn't know the half-giant, as well as the Gryffindor trio, did, he gathered that the man wasn't much of a threat even with his intimidating stature. However, with the appearance of 'Buckbeak' as Hagrid had named the Hippogriff, Edwyn was beginning to doubt even that.

He, along with just about everyone else had stepped back when Hagrid asked for a volunteer. Though, he wasn't quite sure what Harry was thinking when the boy walked over to the creature. Edwyn knew enough from Mr Scamander that it's a very dangerous thing, to anger a Hippogriff.

The encouraging words Hagrid had sent Harry and the creature's clucking noises did not soothe Edwyn's worry in the least. He heard Draco, Vincent, and Greg all snicker to themselves. If you asked him, he'd say that there was nothing particularly funny about seeing someone—whether they're your arch-nemesis or not—getting mauled by a magical creature three times the size of them.

He continued to watch anxiously as the Hippogriff clucked and stared at his friend's bowing form before dipping its own head in a reflecting display of respect. While the thing allowed Harry to stroke it, his brain still screamed in alarm whenever the Hippogriff so much as moved an inch. Still, he could see why those like Mr Scamander were so keen on spending all their lives working with such magnificent creatures. 

However, there was nothing he could think of when the man asked Harry to ride on the creature. Edwyn's eyes widened, as Hagrid hoisted Harry onto Buckbeak's back despite the boy's protests, and watched as the Hippogriff ran off and soared across the lake. It was a long, treacherous ten minutes that he had to endure until Harry had finally returned to the small clearing. Then Draco's face turned into a sour expression, as the boy began to march towards the animal. He wasn't sure what possessed him in that moment, but he had grasped Draco's arm with his eyes blown wide and a distinct scowl settled on his face. 

"Are you an idiot?! Do you have any idea what a Hippogriff could do if you anger it?! You'd be gutted like a pig on Christmas!"

The boy looked at him with a flabbergasted expression on his face, the situation clearly taking the boy by surprise. There was a flash of fear in Draco's eyes, but the boy pulled his arm from Edwyn's grasp.

"It's just a stupid bird!"

He knew that Draco was just doing this because of Harry's recent achievement, but he couldn't help the way his lips twitched downwards and his eyes went a little cold. Why did no one ever just listen? Were they all bloody daft?! And then, just as he had predicted, Draco had been attacked by the Hippogriff.