I; perplexing questions

| YEAR 1; CHAPTER SEVEN |
PERPLEXING QUESTIONS

     NAVIGATING THROUGH THE HALLS, Edwyn caught sight of a familiar turban. He had just left the Great Hall early to head to the library. A charms test was in a few days, and Edwyn wanted to get in some extra studying.

What intrigued him, however, was that the Defence teacher was also wandering through the halls. All the other teachers were in the Great Hall. While there could be a simple reason behind the teacher's behaviour, Edwyn still felt as if something was amiss and followed his instincts.

Which is how he found himself following the professor through the winding halls, still unsure of where he was being led. As the professor rounded the corner, Edwyn was pulled back by someone yanking his arm. Alarm bells began shrieking in his head as he turned around slowly. Though he gave a miniature frown when he saw the familiar face of Ron Weasley.

"What are you doing?" Edwyn rubbed the arm that Weasley had grabbed. The Gryffindor boy didn't have enough power in his grip to hurt him, but it was annoying to be interrupted mid-chase.

The Weasley boy didn't answer his question, only offering a suspicious stare. "I want you to stay away from us." The boy's nose flared, and his eyes narrowed even further. "You're bad news, Belmonte."

"Look, Weasley," he said distractedly. Staring at the direction in which Professor Quirrell had gone. If he could get out of this conversation now, there still might be enough time to catch up with the sketchy professor. "This isn't a good time."

The boy shouted, "No! I won't be brushed off by you!" Edwyn stared at Weasley with a dumbfounded look, "Now listen here, you're going to leave Harry and Hermione alone!"

Edwyn felt more than confused, "...What are you on about?" 

The boy only appeared more vexed by his obliviousness. "I'm not joking! There's not one Slytherin that hasn't gone dark! I won't let you manipulate my friends."

It was obvious that the boy was quoting what he's most likely heard from his parents, but the boy's accusation left a sour taste in Edwyn's mouth.

"You know what, Weasley, you have no right to say that." Weasley opened his mouth to speak, but Edwyn cut him off. "What? Just because your parents told you a few horror stories about some Dark Lord who just happened to be Slytherin, that immediately makes everyone in my House evil?! No. You wouldn't even try acting like this if I were in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff."

Edwyn stormed away from the boy. Not trusting himself to keep a level-head if he stayed around any longer. Any hope that he had to catch up with Professor Quirrel was up in flames, as the man was long gone by now.

Instead, Edwyn stalked after his original course towards the library.

-

"Can you believe it?!" Draco said, exasperated. "A dragon. A bloody dragon! What on earth was that oaf thinking?!"

Blaise shrugged, "Really makes you wonder about Dumbledore's ability to hire an effective staff." He turned to the teacher's tables in front of the Great Hall, "Take Quirrell for example. That man couldn't teach to save his life."

Pansy sneered, her nose scrunching up, exaggerating her features. "With all that stuttering, there's no way he can possibly duel. Let alone teach a class."

Edwyn looked over at the headmaster for a moment, before looking away. "There has to be a reason that Dumbledore hired him."

Draco smirked, "It's 'cause Dumbledore is nothing but a senile, old coot."