I; to friends

| YEAR 1; CHAPTER FOUR |
TO FRIENDS

     PROFESSOR SNAPE'S OFFICE WAS NOT AT ALL HOW HE HAD IMAGINED. The room was well-lit and not at all as intimidating as its resident. The desk only contained a few papers, and at the back, there were several vials—both empty and full—lining the shelves.

Walking over to the front of the desk, Edwyn wasn't sure all too sure what to do. He just stood in silence, studying the room and the other occupant. The potions professor turned his back to him, taking out a third of the vials on the shelf and placing them inside a pouch. He handed one to Edwyn.

"This is the concoction that your current guardian has asked me to prescribe to you during the school years." 

Edwyn grabbed the vial, "Should I take this now?"

The man nodded, closing the small pouch. "This should last you for two weeks. Come back to me when you finish them. One for the morning, and another for the evening. No more, no less. Do you understand?"

Edwyn nodded. "Yes, sir... Should I go now?"

Sighing, the man gestured to the door, "Yes, you can go back to your dorms now."

As he walked out, he briefly wondered if this man had the right sort of temperament to teach children. He reminded him of the better sort of caretakers at Whimphrey's, just straight burned out, and sort of cranky. 

-

The Slytherins all made it to their Transfiguration class on time. Edwyn noticed how most of their classes were shared with Gryffindor, barring Herbology, which they shared with Ravenclaw. 

Malfoy was mid-sentence, speaking of his anticipation of Potions when two students came barreling through the doors in a hurry. It was Potter and Weasley.

"Phew! We made it!" They both slowed their pace as they made their way through the rows of desks. Weasley's face scrunched up slightly, "Could you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?"

Edwyn watched in a mix of awe and amusement as the cat that sat on the table leapt forward. Transforming into the very Professor that they had mentioned. 

She glided over to them, her stern eyes looking at the two dumbfounded expressions, "Perhaps it would be more useful if I were to transfigure Mr Potter and yourself into a pocket watch? That way one of you might be on time."

He heard Malfoy snicker next to him, and he struggled not to let out a few chuckles himself.

As the class went on, Edwyn found a newfound respect for transfiguration. The first magic he had ever seen was Transfiguration, but as a whole, the branch of magic was far more complex than he could have ever imagined. He wasn't complaining, but it was certainly a bit daunting when he thought about it. 

She tasked the students with changing a match into a needle. Professor McGonagall roamed around during this time, surveying the progress of everyone while giving tips and advice now and again.

"Remember," she said, "Transfiguration does not focus solely on your magical talent. It also has to do with your will. Your desire to see your match become a needle."

Edwyn mulled her words over for a moment before tentatively raising a hand. McGonagall looked over at him, "Yes, Belmonte?"

"Is that the same with the other branches of magic? Do our spells rely on our Will more than our power?"