II; delays

| YEAR 2; CHAPTER FOUR |
DELAYS

     BLAISE, PANSY, AND NOTT HAD ALL LEFT. That just left Draco along with Crabbe and Goyle as the only friends Edwyn had joining him during winter break. Even Cedric had gone home this break, apparently his father had been off on a Ministry job during the last winter break.

"How come you're staying for the break?" Edwyn asked Draco, as they sat at the empty Slytherin table.

"My father and mother went on a boring business trip to Spain. I didn't want to go, so I thought I might as well stay here." 

"Why wouldn't you want to go to Spain?" The mere idea of going to another country was thrilling. If it weren't for Mr Scamander's warnings of the dangers of his trips, he would have pleaded a bit more to go with the man. Though he could always stay in a city, he supposed, while the man did his work. Though, if something happened to him at that point, Mr Scamander wouldn't be there to— He was overthinking things again.

"It's too hot and the food's kind of plain." Draco continued.

He struggled not to frown, he never got the chance to go anywhere. It was almost unheard of other than the rare school field trips, and those trips weren't even past 15 miles of the school. And Whimphrey's? Funny bloody joke. No way they were going on any trips. 

"There's got to be something good about Spain," Edwyn urged.

"Not really. It was interesting the first time I went, I suppose, but that was years ago." Draco shrugs, "How about you? Why do you stay over the breaks?"

"Mr Scamander usually spends his time helping magical creatures." He looked at the food on his plate distantly, "During the summer, when he's not around, he has someone look after me and the animals."

"Sounds awfully dull," Draco said after a moment of silence.

"I have my books to pass the time. He's not gone for too long, anyway," Edwyn amended.

Draco raised a brow, "Still sounds boring."

"I don't mind, it gives me time to think and read."

Draco rolls his eyes, "Is reading all you ever do?"

Edwyn was about to answer the question, before wondering if it was rhetorical. He wasn't in the mood of arguing the importance of knowledge, anyway. Instead, his mind wandered to the Chamber of Secrets. He knew for a fact that Harry didn't set the creature off, but he did wonder what exactly it was.

"What do you think is petrifying the students," Edwyn asked. 

"I don't know." Draco scoffs, "Probably whatever is lying down in the Chamber."

Great deduction, he thought wryly but he chose not to voice that sarcastic remark and instead just offered a small nod before letting out a tired sigh.

-

The fire crackled pleasantly. The Slytherin common room was almost barren, save for a few older students sitting at the back along with himself.

Edwyn idly wondered where Crabbe and Goyle had run off to but didn't think much of it. The two had been scarfing down all the sweets from this morning's breakfast. Most likely still at it now.

Draco left as well, most likely looking for the two. Edwyn was sitting comfortably on the seat, listening to the crackling fire whilst reading another book.

As if summoned, the three came barreling in. Draco sat down beside him, almost leaning on him. Edwyn thought of moving but decided to sit still. He didn't want Draco to feel offended. It would be rude of him to just leave simply because he was uncomfortable.