II; strains

| YEAR 2; CHAPTER ONE |
STRAINS

     THE SUMMER HAD FLOWN BY QUICKLY, and Edwyn felt as if he'd learned much more about magical creatures than he ever could in books. Mr Scamander let him help in caring for the creatures, and he was happy that the snake he met the first time was still around.

Letters were sent back and forth between him and Cedric, who has surprisingly remained in contact with him. While the Hufflepuff kept him up to date with his life, Edwyn also updated the boy on his studies as well as how things were going with the magical creatures in Mr Scamander's sanctuary. It still managed to surprise him every now and again, with just how many creatures his guardian rescued and rehomed in just this summer alone. Already, he has seen more than a third of the bestiary's index, including Grindylows, Erumpents, Runespoors, and many other creatures which he had a feeling weren't all that safe to approach—let alone keep around.

Cedric, on the other hand, seemed to have a far more ordinary summer than him, practicing hard to hone his skills for next year's quidditch matches and finishing his assigned summer work. Though, Edwyn did find himself curious in the boy's father, who, according to Cedric, was working in the Ministry within the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. A name which was quite the mouthful, if you asked him, though it was a somewhat boring but educational time he spent reading on the different departments within the Ministry once he got around to it. 

Edwyn occasionally spoke with Draco, but he didn't think his friend was too interested in creature care. Blaise and Nott sent letters as well, but they were normally short and concise; never too long. He also attempted to contact Potter, but to his disappointment, the boy never responded to his letters.

He planned to visit Diagon Alley today; he wanted to get his shopping done now, rather than later. He quickly entered his room.

The space was ample, holding a fairly large bookshelf to store his books. Edwyn walked over to a magically enlarged terrarium—it was still a wonder to him how such a thing was even possible—where Hera was settled in. It took Edwyn a long time to decide on a name for the stout creature, but he eventually landed upon one of mythological origin.

Speaking to snakes, was an incredibly hard revelation to swallow, but once he got used to speaking in the Snake Tongue, he couldn't help but feel a little pride and a sort of self-entitled feeling of superiority at the ability. Of course, he would never let it cloud his judgement, but it was nice knowing that there was something that could still give him an edge over everyone else. He shook his head of the thoughts and walked over to the glass cage, glancing around the interior before his eyes finally landed on some of Hera's scales which nearly blended in with the surrounding plants and shrubbery that coated the inside of the terrarium.

'I'm going to Diagon Alley today, I hope I'll see some of my friends there,' He paused as he saw Hera poke her head out from the foliage. 

'That centre where all the land-plowerss go?'

Edwyn chuckled, 'Yes, that one.'

The snake flicked its forked tongue out, "You could at least get me a big mouse while you're there." She retreated to the back of the large enclosure, her body completely hidden from sight.

Edwyn rolled his eyes, at the haughtiness the snake displayed. It was a wonder that such a small creature had such a pretentious personality, though he still smiled in fondness before quickly composing himself. 'I guess I'll see you later. Bye.'

Hera gave a responding hiss of farewell, before returning to the far reaches of her dwelling-space. 

Before stepping out of his room, Edwyn grabbed a medium-sized case which he had placed in the corner beside his bed the night prior. Hopefully, it would be enough space for the things he was hoping to buy, though he had a feeling that it would be more than enough. All of his guardian's bags, containers, and briefcases had an exaggerated amount of storage space inside, and Edwyn could probably buy every book in Flourish and Blotts, and still have room for at least one more thing. Though, Edwyn thankfully had enough self-control to not do such a thing, something in which Mr Scamander's Gringotts vault heavily appreciated.